The Jesse James - Younger gang fled from Northfield, Minnesota after a failed bank robbery. Young Sorbel recognized the gang as they passed his Hanska farm. Bob, Cole and Jim Younger would eventually surrender to this seven-man posse 8 miles west of Madelia on the banks of the Watonwan River. Charlie Pitts died in the shootout.
This postcard shows a view of the Commercial Hotel in St. Peter that was located on the northeast corner of the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Park Row. The image is a reproduction that was made from an earlier photograph.
This postcard version of a photograph originally taken in 1877 shows the James Nutter blacksmith shop in St. Peter. The business was located on the southwest corner of the intersection of Front and Grace streets.
This photograph shows a logging crew, consisting of Henry Perttula, Jonas Perttula, William Perttula, Emil Kangas, Waino J. Heikkinen, and an unidentified man. Sitting are Abel Palkie and Adolph Peterson.
Exterior view of the M. G. Evenson Hardware store in St. Peter. It was located next to Laubach's Grocery store, which was on the southwest corner of the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Park Row. The image is a reproduction made from an earlier photograph.
Exterior view of the Northwestern Hotel in St. Peter that was located on the southwest corner of the intersection of Front Street and Park Row. In November of 1887, a fire in the hotel's stable destroyed the hotel and many other buildings. This postcard is a reproduction made from an earlier photograph.
A view of the first railroad bridge across the Minnesota River at St. Peter. It served the Winona and St. Peter Railroad. This wooden bridge was located between Kasota and the St. Peter State Hospital. The image is a reproduction made from an earlier photograph.
Early years in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1863-1880). A new St. Joseph District School #9 was built next to the St. Joseph's Church in 1877. The sisters continued to teach there even though the public versus parochial school controversy had not completely subsided. However, when in 1914, the State Attorney General reinforced an earlier court opinion that the wearing of religious garb while teaching in public schools was unlawful, the parish bought the district school and made it the official St. Joseph's Parochial School. It was later replaced by a larger school which eventually became known as the St. Joseph Lab School in association with the department of education of the College of St. Benedict (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives, McDonald, page 180; Loso, pages 39-40).
This postcard shows a view of the dry goods and groceries store that was owned by Theodore Knoll in St. Peter. The store was located along Third Street at its intersection with Park Row. The image is a reproduction made from an earlier photograph.