Wooden two-story building at Svithiod Home. The Svithiod Home was started in 1928 near Excelsior by the Independent Order of Svithiod for immagrants "who felt a need for fellowship outside the religious sphere."
At one time the premire hotel in Ely, Minnesota. In December of 1967, the building caught fire destroying not only the hotel but Vertin's Restaurant which was located in the hotel. The hotel was never rebuilt but Vertin's relocated to141 East Sheridan Street.
House located in Lakefield on 701 Douglas Street. Original builder was a Mr. A. N.. Douglass; who's daughter had tuberculosis and it was built to aid in the cure. Built in 1893 with maximum number of window for sunshine and fresh air, it contains 57 windows.
This building once housed exhibits of the human and natural drama of the Superior National Forest and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Later, after the United States Forest Service moved to other quarters, the building became the International Wolf Center.
This building looks exactly the same today as it did when built back in the 1930s. On the interior there are murals of miners and wildlife painted during the Great Depression through the New Deal art projects by Minnesota artist Elsa Jemne.
Washington Elementary School contains a beautiful 900 seat auditorium as well as the Workman murals. It was built in 1908 but became the junior high school in 1959 when a new elementary school was built. Today it once more serves as the elementary school.