Unidentified Ojibwe women are at a campsite. They are seated on the ground in front of a tent with cooking pots, dishes, and jars between them; there are buckets in the foreground. This snapshot by Stella Stocker is from her photograph album. Stocker, a musician and music educator, studied American Indian music among the Ojibwe people in Minnesota.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
An unidentified Ojibwe woman and a boy are seated and standing in front of canvas covered tipis. This snapshot by Stella Stocker is from her photograph album. Stocker, a musician and music educator, studied American Indian music among the Ojibwe people in Minnesota.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Aerial bridge from bay; boats entering; canal; piers; Minnesota Point buildings on both sides; houses; light house on south pier; Corps of Engineers building.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
In the middle of this image are the low, long Northern Pacific freight sheds with cranes and a couple of men near the harbor end of the dock by the tip of the ore boat. Wholesale grocers Gowan-Lenning-Brown sign for its Honor brand is visible in the Canal Park area near the bridge. The manufacturer of the Honor Brand was an outgrowth of the Wright-Clarkson Company. It was Gowan-Peyton-Twohy Company in 1910 then Gowan-Peyton-Congdon in 1911, and finally Gowan-LenningBrown in 1913. At 20 West Morse Street is a sign for wholesale Hogstad Fish.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Leif Erikson Park is the site of the half-size replica of the Leif Erikson boat the "Norwegian Vikings" sailed to America in 997 A. D. The boat was donated to the city of Duluth by Enger and Olson, Inc. (furniture store owned by Bert Enger of Enger Park and Enger Tower) in 1927. The 12-ton, 42 feet long, red and white sail, replica was built of Norway pine and sailed to America from Korgen, Norway, leaving Norway on May 26, 1926, arriving in Duluth after visits to numerous ports, on June 23, 1927. The head and tail were made by a Norwegian architect.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
A laker prepares to leave the harbor through the Ship Canal in this view of downtown Duluth, Canal Park and Minnesota Point from the hillside. In the center right of the image is a rear view of the Duluth Civic Center buildings. In Canal Park on the left of the image we can see the DeWitt Seitz and Marshall Wells buildings. Zenith was a brand name used by Marshall Wells.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
This view from the crest of the hillside of Duluth shows a vessel steaming toward the aerial bridge. A prominent sign is visible on the bayside of Minnesota Point advertising Marine Iron and Shipbuilding. That business was located for years at the foot of Eleventh Avenue West and bayfront. The first ship launched in the Twin Ports for service in World War II was at the Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Co., April 23, 1941. A Duluth newspaper on July 1, 1966 ,reported that the former Marshall-Wells Building on Lake Avenue South has been purchased by Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Co. and Modern Constructors Inc. The assessors office lists the value of the property at $736,000.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
A view to the canal with the Duluth business district in the foreground. The 1896 Sacred Heart Cathedral steeple is in the right corner in front of the building that is now the Damiano Center (clothes distribution and soup kitchen). The cathedral, now a music center, and the Damiano are at 211 and 206 West Fourth Street. At the left is the smokestack of the Duluth Steam Plant built in 1932 that continues to provide heat to downtown businesses. To the left of the smokestack is the five-story Freimuth's Department store which opened in 1900 on the corner of Lake Avenue and Superior Street. It was Duluth's oldest family owned firm when it closed in 1961 with 60 employees. The Freimuth's building was razed in May 1968. On the far right on Superior Street are the tall, slim Alworth building (16 stories) dating from 1909, and the light colored Medical Arts building on the site of the St. Louis Hotel. The hotel was razed beginning May 19, 1932. September 1, 1932 contractors broke ground for the Medical Arts building. Signs in Canal Park include Marshall-Wells Hardware Company and Griggs, Cooper and Company. Griggs Cooper was a wholesale grocer and liquor business at 217-219 Lake Avenue South featuring Home brand food.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
This aerial view of St. Peter extends from the Broadway Bridge on the right to North Fourth Street on the left and from Grace Street along the bottom of the image to the northern limits of the city. The boulevard along North Minnesota Avenue that began at Skaro Street is clearly shown.
This photograph shows the aftermath of the November 1887 fire in St. Peter. Park Row is at left. The St. Peter Roller Mills on Front street are left of center. C. Amundson's store, visible in the photograph, was on the east side of the 200 block of South Minnesota Avenue.
This photograph shows the aftermath of the November 1887 fire in St. Peter. The view is to the south along Minnesota Avenue from Broadway. The Nicollet Hotel is at far right. The spire of the courthouse is in the distance.