Dick Ryan, Jack McHugh, Ed Hicks and Chief Boyhart are posed by the 1912 American LaFrance motorized pumper in front of the Central Fire Station. This was the first piece of motorized fire fighting equipment owned by the Rochester Fire Department.
Instructions for groups and individuals assisting with ground crew and balloon inflation for the Dr. Jean Piccard balloon ascension in 1937 are described I this four page document. Details of balloon construction and inflation procedures are given in addition to the order of operations and signals. Dr. Jean Piccard was a University of Minnesota physicist and aeronautical engineer who believed it was possible to ascend into the stratosphere using many small cluster balloons rather than one large balloon. The experimental flight was sponsored by the Rochester Kiwanis Club and supported by local residents and students.
Men are paving Zumbro Street (Second Street SW) with wooden blocks at the intersection with Main Street (First Avenue SW). Buildings visible in this scene are the Y.M.C.A., Universalist Church, Masonic Temple, Zumbro Hotel, Odd Fellows Building and the Scott and Everstine Store. The second person from the right in the foreground, facing the horses, is John Jensen.
A group of spectators at the entrance to the Zumbro Hotel watch four men in a car at the curb. A jug, spare tire and sign reading ""New York to Rochester"" hang on the side of the car.
This is an original plat of Olmsted County with many handwritten notes and drawings showing early Minnesota settlers, farmers and other town landscape features. This map is the earliest documentation we have found in our collection of the farms, towns, and topography of Olmsted County, Minnesota.
Luggage is piled on the roof of the first bus to regularly travel between Rochester and the Twin Cities. The bus line was operated by Leon Van Tassel and later became the Rochester Bus Line.
The Winona and Southwestern Railway train is pictured moving over a trestle bridge on it's way from Spring Valley to Winona. In 1890, tracks were laid from Winona through St. Charles, Dover, Eyota, Simpson and Stewartville to Spring Valley and Osage. The railroad became the Winona & Western in 1894. A spur was built in 1900 from Simpson to Rochester. In 1901, the Winona & Western line was sold to the Chicago Great Western Railroad.
The Winona & Western Railway depot was located on the south side of College Street (now 4th Street SW) by the Zumbro River. The photo was taken on the west bank of the Zumbro River, looking east. The Chicago Great Western Railroad bought the Winona & Western Railway in 1901. In January of 1903, the depot was cut in two and moved across the river.
Two men are posed by a balloon with passenger basket at the Olmsted County Fairgrounds. The event was sponsored by the American Legion as a welfare benefit show.