The Beardsley Saloon was located at 214 South Broadway. James Beardsley (on right with mustache) is standing with an unidentified man behind the counter. The saloon had a stove in the center and pool tables located in the back.
Shaving mugs are displayed on the wall of the Beehive Barber Shop at 11 West Zumbro (now Second Street SW) in the Brackenridge Building. R. N. Sweet is the barber on the left and Phil Gentling is the barber on the right.
Two men are standing on top of coal loaded onto a sled pulled by a team of two horses. One man is holding a scoop shovel. The Chicago Great Western Railroad tracks are visible on the right.
The Bradley House (built in 1855 by Albert Stevens) was sold to J. T. Bradley in 1861. This stagecoach stop, located at the east end, facing north, of the then College Street (now 4th Street) bridge, a block east of Broadway was on the Old Dubuque Trail. A fancy coach met all trains and transported customers and their baggage to the Bradley House.
Five men are posed on the front porch of the E. D. Buck Store in High Forest, Minnesota. The men are, left to right: Charles Armstrong, Harry Johnson, Vet Johnson, E. D. Buck, V. C. Dickey. After serving in the civil War, E. D. Buck retired to High forest and engaged in the mercantile business.
Large stacks of tires and boxes of inner tubes are displayed in front of Case Auto Company storefront. Several men are sitting on piles of tires loaded on a Chevrolet pick-up truck. A couple is sitting on another stack of tires. The sign above the storefront reads: ""Case Auto Co., Chatfield, Rochester, Stewartville; We recommend Goodrich Tires, Silvertown Cord, Fabric and Sold Truck Tires"". The Brown Hotel is visible on the right.
Construction of the Kahler Hotel is seen in the background. The Wagoner Block (center foreground) housed the following businesses: the Fischer Cafeteria on the First Street SW side, Emerson Barber Shop and Cigar and Magazine store on the corner, J. H. Wagoner Music Company on the First Avenue SW side, American Railway Express office, Gay Vincent Millinery and J. D. Kelly Real Estate Office. Clarence Stearns Photography Studio was on the second floor. Across the street to the east (right side of photo) is the offices of the Dodge Lumber Company. To the south, across the street (left side of photo) was the Zumbro Hotel, built in 1912. Note parking located in the center of the street. F. H. Gimbert rented roof space for his real estate sign, but his office was two blocks down First Avenue SW at his home.
The barber shop operated by Dick (Richard V.) Russell was located at 318 South Broadway. Three men are posed next to barber chairs, shaving mugs in background; left to right: S. Barton Russell, age 15 (son of Richard V.), Richard V. Russell, age 48 (born 1847, died 1906), Harry Russell, age 18 (son of Richard V.). There is a sign in window advertising the Southern Minnesota Fair.
Teams of horses with wagons wait for a delivery load at the Dodge Lumber and & Fuel Company loading facility. The business, originally known as W. H. Dodge, General Dealer in Lumber, was started in 1869 by W. H. Dodge. His son, Elam Dodge, joined the firm in 1907 and the name was changed to Dodge Lumber and Fuel.
The E. J. Rice Store is pictured on the corner in this street scene. The store was built by M. W. Clay in 1874. In 1895, Rice bought the store from the McCray Brothers and it burned in Dec. 1907. An early automobile, closely resembling a buggy, is in the foreground, surrounded by a group of interested people.
Emma Mueller is wearing a dress trimmed with cranberries and dried fruits from Mueller & Company grocers. She wore the outfit at the Merchants Carnival in Rochester.
The W H Dodge Lumber Yard was located at 24 South Main (now 1st Avenue SW) in Rochester. The business, originally known as W H Dodge, General Dealer in Lumber, was started in 1869 by W H Dodge. His son, Elam, joined the firm in 1907 and the name was changed to Dodge Lumber and Fuel.
The W. H. Dodge lumber yard was located at 3rd and Main Street. This exterior view shows the front entrance. The business was started in 1869 by W. H. Dodge. His son, Elam Dodge, joined the firm in 1907 and the name was changed to Dodge Lumber and Fuel.
Fire at the Hotel Norton on 104 Second Street southeast in Rochester. This was a very difficult fire to fight given the extreme cold temperatures. Several people died in this fire. The event spurred other businesses in Rochester to install sprinker systems.
Spectators watch the Fourth of July celebration from the street and from the balcony on the Central Fire Station. Rochester Fire Department motorized equipment is displayed along with horse drawn fire equipment. By 1918, the fire department had become completely mechanized. This was the last public showing of the fire horses. The Tollefson Furniture and Undertaking store is visible on the right.
Gertie Miller is wearing a costume representing the Dodge Lumber Company at the Merchants Carnival. Her dress is decorated with wood shavings and millwork.