Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909). Sister Gertrude Flynn, OSB, was the prioress (in the 1870s) of a small, struggling community, St. Gertrude's Convent, Shakopee, MN, which (like St. Benedict's) had originated in St. Marys, PA. St. Gertrude's was the community of which Sister Scholastica Kerst, OSB, became a member in 1862. However, in 1877 Sister Scholastica transferred her membership to St. Benedict's Convent and within three years was appointed the fourth prioress of St. Benedict's. One of her first official actions was to negotiate the merger of St. Gertrude's Convent with St. Benedict's despite the disapproval of Sister Gertrude and her community. The merger of this English-speaking community introduced other nationalities that enhanced St. Benedict's community and provided it with a group of zealous religious whose professional experience assisted in meeting the demands of its academy and other apostolates. Sister Gertrude served St. Benedict's well in her role as community secretary and in her hope and encouragement for the full restoration of praying the Divine Office, a privilege denied the community by Abbot Boniface Wimmer, OSB, for the sake of the teaching apostolate (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 95-99).
First 50 years of the College of Saint Benedict (CSB). Sister Grace McDonald contributed an immeasurably important service to the community in gathering and researching the materials that led to her publishing the story of the first 100 years of the community. Without her notes and the materials she collected over a period of many years, the archives would not have the records of the community's development that it now enjoys. Though she kept no administrative files as an archivist, she is considered the first community archivist (from 1933 to 1963) because of her role as collector, researcher and writer.
First 50 years of the College of Saint Benedict (CSB). Sister Olivia Egan entered St. Benedict's community in 1886, graduated from St. Benedict's Academy, taught in the Industrial School and then became librarian and teacher at the academy and the college. In the college, she served as librarian from 1916-1930. Because of her vital interest in the establishment of the college, Sister Mariella Gable cited her as one of its prime promoters.
Early years in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1863-1880). Some of the students in Sister Philothea Valerius' class (c. 1890s) have been identified as follows. Front row left to right: 1. Mary Kotschever, 2. Mary Meyer, 3. Johanna Rau, 5. Bertha Kroll, 6. Mary Lauermann, 7. Bertha Horsch, 8. Monica Ablen, 9. Mary Becker, 10. Mary Schloemer, 11. Bertha Schloemer, 13. Burgmeier, 14. Rose Orth. Second row: 2. Joseph Meyer, 3. Math Bohmer, 4. Michael Meyer, 5. John Reber, 8. Henry Nierengarten (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). In 1892, two sisters (Adela Eich and Casimir Pietron) and a candidate (Miss Rose Carlin - later Sister Josephine) opened a mission in St. Joseph's Parish in Browerville. The parish had built a parochial school, named Holy Angels, consisting of three classrooms and living quarters for sisters. When dissension arose between the Polish and German parishioners that resulted in the establishment of a German parish (St. Peter's), a sister from Holy Angels School taught the German pupils in a rented store. In 1902, when the Germans built their own church, St. Peter's, the school was moved to the church basement. Both schools expanded and prospered, but were eventually consolidated and named Browerville Parochial School, later renamed Christ the King (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). Perham marks the beginning of the Lake Park region of Minnesota. In 1873 the town was platted by the Lake Superior and Puget Sound Land Company and named after Josiah Perham, the first president of the Northern Pacific Railroad. The early businesses were the Glove Milling company and the Schmidt Wagon Works. Within ten years the Catholic community developed a school system, at one time having the three following Catholic schools in the area: 1.) St. Henry's - the Benedictine sisters opened a school in a section of the convent but when the enrollment increased, the former public school and a harness shop were utilized; enrollment there reached a peak of 269 pupils with 5-6 sisters teaching in subsequent years. 2.) St. Joseph - the Benedictine sisters began teaching in a district school (Ottertail County), three miles from Perham. (In 1885 St. Benedict's Convent built a large dwelling there intended to serve as a sisters' health resort; instead, it became the residence for the 5 sisters at St. Joseph's School. The dwelling was later sold for $1,100.) 3.) St. Stanislaus - in 1902, the Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph's also staffed this small school but three years later it closed because only 38 students enrolled. However, the pastor reopened it seven years later and the Polish-speaking Felician sisters staffed it for another twenty years (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). The first settler, John Schwinghammer, came to this oak and maple-wooded area in 1862. When the St. Paul-Minneapolis-Manitoba line was constructed in 1871, a railroad station and hotel were quickly built and the town of Albany began to grow. The Catholic community invited two sisters to teach in the Albany District School #111 in 1884 but the public versus parochial school controversy soon relegated them to the church sacristy. Because the sacristy could only accommodate 15-20 pupils and because the resident pastor was recalled from Albany, the sisters withdrew in 1888. In 1904 the sisters returned to re-open the school in the old church. In subsequent years, a new school, Holy Family, was built and enrollment peaked at 325 (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). The German community of Hastings, the second oldest settlement in Minnesota, at first had the Sisters of St. Joseph as their teachers. In 1890, four Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph, MN, replaced the Sisters of St. Joseph teaching the 140 students in the parochial school provided by the German parish. This was due, perhaps, to the fact that the Benedictines were primarily a German community. In subsequent years the enrollment increased to 335 students. Though the photograph shows only boys, girls were also enrolled (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives, Shifra Stein's Day Trips: Gas-saving Getaways Less Than Two Hours from Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul, page 149).
Groundbreadking ceremony on October 5, 1911 for the construction of the Sacred Heart Chapel. Upon making the final decision to build the new chapel on the west end of Benedict Hall, some of the auxiliary buildings, the pigsty, poultry house, old carpenter shop, ice house, and lumber sheds, were moved or new ones built farther west. Finally, the site was ready and groundbreaking began on October 5, 1911 (Chronicles, page 140).
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). In 1882, the new German parish in Stillwater, MN, invited Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph, MN, to teach in their school, St. Mary's. Because there was another parochial school, conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph in the older English-speaking parish, the German parish school had only 85-100 pupils. In the subsequent 66 years of service given by the Benedictine sisters at St. Mary's School, the enrollment of this grade school remained steady between 100 and 125 and, for some time, high school classes were included for a small number of students (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 108-109).
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). As early as 1880, three sisters took charge of the parish school in Long Prairie, but within four years the sisters withdrew because of misunderstandings with the pastor. Ten years later, the sisters re-opened the mission and the school's subsequent enrollments grew to 280. Pictured are S. Demetria Keller (on left) and Catherine Siefner (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
These five sisters and four lay nurses formed the first group to be trained by Ms. Wilma Johnson, a superintendent of nurses from Chicago engaged by the School of Nursing. Fom left to right seated: Sisters Julitta Hoope, Leobina Gliszhenski, Standing: Sisters Natalia Schmidtbauer, Cunigund Kuefler, Salome Amschler (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, page 258).
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). The Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph, who were teaching in Moorhead in 1883, are identified as follows (left to right): Sisters Paula Bechtold, Alphonsa O'Donnell, Euphrasia Hirtenberger (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Early years in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1863-1880). Students in Sister Stephen Schaaf's class of 1892 have been identified as follows: Top row: (Sister Stephen Schaaf), Anna Krahl, Bertha Walz, Christ Walz, George Warnert, Mike Nierengarten, Casper Benning, Frank Rau, Leroy Baloh, Mike Ziegelmeier; 2nd row: Teresa Walz, Lizzie Neis, Molly Roeder, Rose Orth, Anna Walz, Johanna Rau, Mary Mae Schloemer, ___ Burgmeier, Mary Notsch; 1st row: Frank Katzner, Joe Reber, Anton Walz, Joseph Meyer, Pius Ziegelmeier (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). The original group of three Benedictine sisters who opened St. Bernard's School: Sisters Eugenia ONeill (seated), Secunda Hansen (right), Auxilia Kapsner (left). The number of sisters at St. Bernard's Parish increased in subsequent years to thirty sisters serving on the faculty of St. Bernard's School (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). Some of the sisters teaching in Duluth before the separation of the Duluth sisters from St. Benedict's in St. Joseph are identified as follows. Top Row - left to right: S. Catherine Siefner, Clementine Jastrzenska, Florentine Cannon, Augustine Terhaar, Margaret Dellwo (Delleveaux); (Bottom Row - left to right): S. Bertha Cherrier, Regina Otto, Cornelia Berg, Anastasia Gerard, Magdalen Walker. Duluth was first settled because of a short-lived rumor in 1854 that copper and ore were found on the North Shore. It was not until 1869, when Duluth was connected to St. Paul by railroad, that the population began to grow. Though Duluth experienced a five-year set back in 1873 when Jay Cooke's (financier of the railroad-to-the-Pacific) financial empire collapsed, it became the ore capital and the grain and lumber harbor of the Northwest. Parish communities and schools began to flourish and the Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph, MN, responded to invitations to teach there: in 1881, five sisters from St. Joseph opened Sacred Heart School for over 200 children in an old carriage shop, but the pastor closed that school; in 1883, seven sisters returned to Sacred Heart Parish and taught in a public school building until a new school (St. Thomas Aquinas) was built; in 1885 sisters began teaching in St. Stanislaus School in the Polish parish, St. Mary Star of the Sea; in 1887 they opened St. Clement School and also the Store-Front School on Garfield Avenue for the French parish; in 1891 the sisters opened St. Anthony's School. All of these mission schools, as well as St. Mary's Hospital, were transferred to St. Benedict's new daughterhouse which was established in Duluth in 1892. Prompted by her deposition as prioress in St. Joseph, it was the energy and the independent pioneer spirit of Mother Scholastica Kerst that effected the separation of the sisters in Duluth from the motherhouse in St. Joseph. While only 20 of the 43 sisters in Duluth opted to join the newly-formed community, Villa Sancta Scholastica, the separation strained the resources of both communities. However, both rallied and flourished in Minnesota. The Benedictines in Duluth today conduct the College of St. Scholastica and a Benedictine Health Care System (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; Olsenius, pages 23-24).
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). Though St. Ann's parish in Wadena was slow in establishing a parochial school, the communion class of 1909 attests to its later rapid growth. In the late 1850s, Wadena began as a trading post with a population around 100. When the Northern Pacific railroad crossed the county in 1872, a town was established 15 miles west of the old trading post. It was named Wadena, meaning "little rounded hill" in Ojibwe. It took until 1903 before the Catholic community in Wadena managed to build a school of its own, St. Ann's School. Three Benedictine sisters accepted the invitation to teach 80 pupils there. In subsequent years, the enrollment peaked at 466 (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives, Olsenius, page 104).
Construction of Sacred Heart Chapel, St. Benedict's Monastery. The site was chosen in 1911 with serious discussions about the site of a new chapel beginning in late 1910. Professor Freehand of St. John's University, in a proposed architectural drawing, suggested that the chapel be built at the east entrance of Cecilia Hall extending toward the street and having its front entrance on that street. Since the distance from Cecilia Hall to the street was only 90 feet, it would be necessary to move the street. On March, 28, 1911, the sisters sent a petition to the village council to move it one-half mile farther east, "Nothing more was ever heard of this petition, although the rumor had been circulated that the sisters were ready to pay $20,000 to the village for the removal." (Chronicles, page138) The location shown on the photo that would place the chapel at the west end of Benedict Hall (with the chapel's entrance leading directly into the convent corridors) was the final choice. There was no consideration given to a west entrance at that time because the campus to the west was devoted to the convent's farm enterprises. On April 19, 1911, the Chapter (decision-making body of the community) voted in favor of building a chapel and at the same time enlarging the academy/college building by adding Teresa Hall to Gertrude Hall. During the next six weeks, Mother Cecilia Kapsner and Sister Priscilla Schmidtbauer journeyed throughout the eastern states to look at chapels, churches and monasteries. What made the most favorable impression upon them were the altar, pews, and choir stalls that E. Hackner from LaCrosse had made for the convents in Clyde, MO, and Atchison, KS. It was Hackner who recommended George pageStaudahar as architect. By September, Studahar had some of the architectural details worked out and it became evident that the estimated cost of $50,000 would fall short. When the estimate was then raised to $125,000, a contract was made with Butler Brothers from St. Paul for 8% of the cost. The final cost of the construction of the chapel was close to $200,000 (Chronicles, pages 137-138).
Early years in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1863-1880). This sketch of the layout of the first church/school/convent complex in St. Joseph was drawn in 1930 by Sister Paula Bechtold, OSB, from her memory of St. Joseph's Convent where she had lived as a young sister. This complex became the home of the Benedictine sisters when they moved from St. Cloud to St. Joseph in 1863. Gradually a small campus to the west of the complex developed -- consisting of laundry, bakery, summer house, chicken coop, barn, woodshed, and a well. Though the primary purpose of the sisters' coming to St. Joseph was to teach the children of the parish, the site served well as the beginnings of St. Benedict's Convent which continued to flourish in St. Joseph. Varied projects were begun in this simple convent complex: the school (the beginnings of the academy), care of orphans, and the Industrial School for Indian girls. In 1886, the old complex of log church and school was completely destroyed by fire. Although new housing had to be found for the orphans and the Industrial School, a new convent/academy had already been built in 1881-1882. With the completion of that new building, the name was changed from St. Joseph's Convent to St. Benedict's Convent (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 59-62, 70-72, 120-122).
Family Films, Inc. (Holy Angels Church, St. Cloud, Minnesota)
Date Created:
1952 - 1954
Description:
Instructions are given on how to pray the rosary and then demonstrated by a family. "Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary" explains each of the five Sorrowful Mysteries using illustrations for each mystery. "Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary" is one of thirty-nine films in the "Christ in the Home" series created in the early 1950s by Family Films for a weekly television series for Channel 11 (WMIN-TV) in the Twin Cities. Each program is based on a feast day, special observance or noteworthy Sunday in the liturgical year. Family Films, Inc. was formed in 1952 and operated out of a studio in Holy Angels Church, St. Cloud, Minnesota. The production team includes Father Edward Ramacher, photography; Father Vincent Huebsch, sound; Father Gordon Mycue, program director; Arnie Pung, KFAN engineer; Dick and Don DeZurik, Cathedral High School students who help with tapes in the library; Sisters Marold Kornovich and Arlynn Haan, teachers at Saint Augustine School; Edmund Linnemann, organist.
Sacred Heart Chapel interior, St. Benedict's Monastery. Opposite the apse with the Pieta was the shrine honoring St. Joseph. The floors of the chapel are partly of stone and partly terrazzo and wood under the pews and choir stalls. Under the center of the dome there was a large marble dial similar to the one in the sanctuary.
Family Films, Inc. (Holy Angels Church, St. Cloud, Minnesota)
Date Created:
1952 - 1954
Description:
"Stations of the Cross" is a Lenten devotion commemorating the journey of Jesus to the cross. The film features names of famous roads and offers meditations on each stop or station of Jesus on the journey. "Stations of the Cross" is one of thirty-nine films in the "Christ in the Home" series created in the early 1950s by Family Films for a weekly television series for Channel 11 (WMIN-TV) in the Twin Cities. Each program is based on a feast day, special observance or noteworthy Sunday in the liturgical year. Family Films, Inc. was formed in 1952 and operated out of a studio in Holy Angels Church, St. Cloud, Minnesota. The production team includes Father Edward Ramacher, photography; Father Vincent Huebsch, sound; Father Gordon Mycue, program director; Arnie Pung, KFAN engineer; Dick and Don DeZurik, Cathedral High School students who help with tapes in the library; Sisters Marold Kornovich and Arlynn Haan, teachers at Saint Augustine School; Edmund Linnemann, organist. (difficult to hear; poor visuals; dark)
Sacred Heart Chapel interior, St. Benedict's Monastery. Carrara marble, life-size statues of Benedict and Scholastica (founder and foundress of Benedictine Order of monks and nuns) flanked the main altar.
Early ventures in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1880-1890). After the closing of the Industrial School, the west end of Marmion Hall (porch added on) accommodated the boarding school for little boys (age 6-12) as a department of St. Benedict's Academy. It was often referred to as "Bethlehem School for Boys." There were 7 students the first year and as the enrollment increased, the maximum number of boys housed per year was set at 36. A total of 715 boys attended during the next 40 years of the school's existence at St. Benedict's. In 1938, it was transferred to Altoona, Wisconsin (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909). From 1882 to 1890 the membership of the Benedictine community at St. Joseph grew to almost 300 professed sisters. The enrollment in St. Benedict's Academy increased to 213 (132 grade school girls and boys and 81 high school girls). Therefore, the sisters added wings to Cecilia Hall (built in 1881-1882) as follows: Benedict Hall in 1883; Scholastica Hall in 1892; Gertrude Hall in 1898. Several factors accounted for this rapid growth: with larger enrollments in the academy, the number of candidates entering the religious community increased; as the Church became more stable when the Northwest Territory was organized as a Vicariate in 1875 and as the St. Cloud Diocese was established in 1889, more parishes developed throughout north central Minnesota; and as sisters went out to teach in more and more schools, the number of candidates from parishes increased. The religious community became more stable and accepted. By 1909, within its first 52 years, the membership grew to 452, and in the next 45 years, St. Benedict's Convent reached its peak membership of 1,278. (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).