Workcrew in front of the second addition (at Riverside and 24th) to St. Mary's Hospital. In succeeding years, up to 1991, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet continued to add buildings to provide professional services to patients and to attract doctors and nurses to its professional staff.
Two nurses and two doctors demonstrate the use of a pulmotor on a patient at St. Joseph's Hospital. The hospital was established by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet during a cholera epidemic in 1853.
Three buildings at the former McNair residence (1301 Linden Ave. North) used by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet as St. Margaret's Academy, a private secondary school. The school remained at this location until 1960, when a new school was built in the Kenwood area of Minneapolis.
Students arranged on the front stairs of St. Margaret's Academy. St. Margaret's Academy (at two sites -- one in North Minneapolis and a second site (1960) in the Kenwood neighborhood) was owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet from 1907-1974. It included a grade school from 1907-1920. It offered an excellent academic education, as well as courses in art and music, and in commercial subjects.
Graduating students stand outside (old) Holy Angels Academy on Fourth Street North, Minneapolis. The grade and high school opened in 1877. In 1907 the high school was transferred to St. Margaret's Academy (first location). The grade school closed in 1928. Both Holy Angels and St. Margaret's were owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet