This document contains the text of a bill that was passed by the Minnesota Territorial Legislature in 1857 to transfer the capital of Minnesota from St. Paul to St. Peter. This document has been determined to have been written at that time, but it is most likely a working copy of the document that was passed by the legislature. Joseph Rolette, a member of the legislature who was opposed to the transfer of the capitol, disappeared with the original bill and failed to return it in time for it to be properly signed by Territorial Governor Willis Gorman, who had, in the meantime, signed a copy of the document that Rolette had taken. Governor Gorman's action was declared to be illegal by a Judge R. R. Nelson, thus ending the attempt to move the capitol.
This postcard shows acrobats performing on a stage on South Minnesota Avenue in St. Peter. The Four Flying Banvards are shown in front of businesses along the west side of the 300 block on the avenue on the Fourth of July in 1908.
This 1965 aerial image shows the flooded Minnesota River at St. Peter and large portions of the city's business district. The white spire of the Nicollet County Courthouse can be seen near the bottom, to the right of the center of the photograph. The Broadway bridge is at the center of the far left portion of the image. The railroad tracks beyond the bridge serve the Peavey Grain Company's elevator and the St. Peter railroad depot.
This 1965 aerial image shows the flooded Minnesota River at St. Peter and large portions of the city's business district. The white spire of the Nicollet County Courthouse can be seen in the center of the far right portion of the photograph. Visible streets include Broadway at the far left and Mulberry at the far right.
Highway 22 is under several feet of water from the flooded Minnesota River in this aerial view taken near St. Peter in 1965. The old bridge across the river can be seen to the right of the center of the image. Highway 169 is along the bottom edge.
This aerial view shows portions of the flooded Minnesota River near St. Peter. The bridge over the river on Highway 22 can be seen along the bottom of this 1965 image. Vehicles can be seen on Highway 169 near the top.
This 1965 aerial image shows the flooded Minnesota River at St. Peter. The Peavey Grain Company's elevator is at the right, above the railroad track. The St. Peter Feed Mill and the St. Peter Creamery are on high ground along the river to the left of the Broadway bridge.
This aerial view shows the business district of St. Peter and the flooded Minnesota River in 1965. The Broadway bridge is at the right, and the Nicollet County Courthouse can be seen below and slightly to the left of the bridge. The view extends from Front Street to Fourth Street, and from Locust Street to the northern end of the city.
The Peavey Grain Company's elevator is the tallest structure visible in this image that shows flooded buildings and property in the Minnesota River Valley east of St. Peter in 1965. Highway 99 crosses the image, running diagonally above the elevator and below the St. Peter railroad depot, which is to the right and slightly below the row of five grain bins.
The St. Peter railroad depot at the far left is surrounded by flood water from the Minnesota River in this 1965 image. The photograph extends from the Peavey Grain Company's elevator at the bottom left of the photograph southwestward to the mill pond near the top center.
This aerial view shows the City of St. Peter and the flooded Minnesota River Valley to the east in 1965. The Broadway bridge is near the center of the photograph, and Minnesota Avenue runs diagonally upward across the image, beginning near the lower left corner.
Large portions of the City of St. Peter and the flooded Minnesota River Valley to the east can be seen in this aerial view that was taken in 1965. The Broadway bridge can be seen slightly to the left of the center of the image.
South Minnesota Avenue in St. Peter extends diagonally upward from a point slightly above the lower left corner of this aerial view and runs across the width of the image. The side streets are, from left to right, Nassau, Park Row, and Broadway. The Nicollet County Bank, the Nicollet Hotel, and the Johnson & Company building are among the visible businesses.
Minnesota Avenue runs along the bottom of this aerial view of St. Peter. Park Row can be seen at the far right, and St. Paul Street can be seen at the far left. The campus of Gustavus Adolphus College is visible in most of the upper left quadrant of the image.
This aerial view of St. Peter extends from the Broadway Bridge on the right to North Fourth Street on the left and from Grace Street along the bottom of the image to the northern limits of the city. The boulevard along North Minnesota Avenue that began at Skaro Street is clearly shown.
This photograph shows the aftermath of a lumber yard fire in St. Peter. Grace street is at right. Identified structures include Old Main, the city water standpipe, the Konsbruck Hotel, Feldman's tin shop, the high school, and the Central Hotel.
This photograph shows the aftermath of the November 1887 fire in St. Peter. Park Row is at left. The St. Peter Roller Mills on Front street are left of center. C. Amundson's store, visible in the photograph, was on the east side of the 200 block of South Minnesota Avenue.
This photograph shows the aftermath of the November 1887 fire in St. Peter. The view is to the south along Minnesota Avenue from Broadway. The Nicollet Hotel is at far right. The spire of the courthouse is in the distance.
This photograph shows part of the business district in St. Peter after the November 1887 fire. The Nicollet Hotel at Minnesota Avenue and Park Row is at left. The view to the north includes the Church of the Holy Communion, right of center, and the Norwegian Lutheran Church to its left.