Map of Leech Lake and its surrounding area etched by Austin D. Zanff of Walker, Minnesota. This image is by Arthur Adams, Minneapolis high school teacher, local historian, and photographer. Adams traveled throughout Minnesota, taking photographs to augment his lectures. His studio was located at 3648 Lyndale Avenue South in Minneapolis.
Bill of Sale for a slave named London, sold by Tabatha Wheeten to Nathaniel Willmarth in 1722 in the County of Bristol, Massachusetts bay, New England. Willmarth was the great grandfather of an uncle by marriage to Elisha Slye, only survivor of a family which came to Minneapolis in 1856.
Marion Daniel Shutter came to Minneapolis in 1881 to serve as minister of Olivet Baptist, now University Baptist Church. He left the denomination after 5 years and became assistant to Dr. James H. Tuttle at the Universalist Church of the Redeemer. On Tuttle's retirement, Shutter became pastor there in 1891 and served until his death in 1939. Shutter was a founder of Unity House, the oldest settlement house in Minneapolis. He aided in the establishment of public playgrounds in Minneapolis and served as the Chairman of the Minneapolis Vice Commission in 1911. He was president of the Minneapolis Charter Commission and edited and contributed to histories of Minneapolis and Minnesota. Booker T. Washington was Principal of Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute. In the letter, sent from the Grand Union Hotel in New York City on October 17, 1901, Washington refers to a previous visit to Reverend Shutter's church. Whether Washington was able to arrange another visit is unknown.
Diary kept by E. Fitch Pabody, juror in the trial of Frank Hamilton, who was convicted of first degree manslaughter for killing Leonard Day, Jr,. in the billiard room of the West Hotel. Includes list of jurors, sketches of the murder weapon and jury quarters, agenda of the trial and newspaper clippings on the jury.