This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools for the 1884-1885 school year. In addition to the Treasurer, Clerk and Superintendent's reports, this volume also includes a report from the Drawing Master, Adolph Rudolph.
This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools for the 1883-1884 school year. This volume includes "Rules for the Government of Schools," a syllabi of subjects covered in each of the grades, and a list of the ten individuals who had graduated from high school from 1879 to 1883.
This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools, for the 1887-1888 school year. The report contains detailed descriptions of the curriculum for each subject from first grade through high school.
This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools, for the 1888-1889 school year. At this point in time Duluth owned eleven schools and was making plans for Endion School, east of Chester Creek and enrollment was double what it had been in 1885.
This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools, for the 1889-1890 school year. It includes the text of a legislative act fixing the boundaries of the Independent School District of the City of Duluth.
This 1890 atlas embraces the corporations of West Duluth and Lakeside and the platted lands adjoining; also acreage maps of the territory in the State of Minnesota, within a radius of about twelve miles, showing the property of the different land and improvement companies. The atlas shows houses, businesses, government buildings, schools, and churches. It includes an index of correct titles of all Duluth additions, divisions, and sub-divisions.
This typescript was copied in November 1926 from Alfred Merritt's original 1915 manuscript. The author described his family's experience on the north shore of Lake Superior from the time of their arrival via steamboat in 1856 until the year 1894, including accounts of pioneers, settlers and land claims, and the discovery of iron ore on the Mesaba Range. Merritt also addressed the creation and demise of the Duluth, Missabe and Northern Railroad.
This booklet describes the steel and wire-making process at the Minnesota Steel Plant in Morgan Park in the 1920s. Topics include raw material for wire making, the galvanizing department, the barb wire and woven fence department, the wire nail department, and the steel plant. The booklet includes photographs of Morgan Park homes, the Lake View Store in Morgan Park, and one of the community's infant playgrounds. A small map of Morgan Park shows locations of steel plant offices, the school, churches, the hospital, and community garages.
This photograph by Paul B. Gaylord and Edward A. Thompson shows the Clark House, Duluth's second hotel, which opened in July of 1870 on the 100 block of West Superior Street; it was destroyed by fire on November 16, 1881.
This booklet describes the planning and building of the Duluth Aerial Ferry Bridge in 1904-1905. Many photographs and drawings illustrate the progress and describe the working of the bridge. Details on dimensions, specifications, and costs of operation are provided.
A description of the directory from the title page: A complete alphabetical list of business firms and private citizens; a classified list of all trades, professions and pursuits; a Miscellaneous directory of city and county ofices, public and private schools, churches, banks, incorporated institutions, etc. Sold only by subscription.
In addition to numerous photographs and some written history, this large book provides information on the town of Duluth, Minnesota, in 1887, including sections on the geographic situation, the harbor, the St. Louis River and water power, churches and schools, railways, the grain market, the Board of Trade, and banking. Photographs include many birds-eye views of Duluth, Rice's Point, grain elevators, the Exchange Building, the Duluth National Bank Building, the Duluth Boat Club House, the Board of Trade Building, the Fargusson Block, the Grand Opera House, the Hotel St. Louis, the Spalding Hotel under construction, and individual homes of R.S. Munger and John P. Johnson.
This circa 1890 book contains about 70 photographs of scenes of Duluth, Minnesota. A four-page text at the beginning describes the city of the 1890s, including boulevards and drives, educational institutions, harbor and shipping, commerce and manufacturing, and railroads. Some of the photographs show the Paladio Building, the Board of Trade, Minnesota Point from the Spalding Hotel, the Phoenix Block, Central High School, the Hardy School, and residences of J.D. Ensign, Col. C.H. Graves, Robert C. Ray, O.G. Traphagen, and W.C. Sargent.
This map of Duluth and the surrounding area as of 1865 was drawn by R.E. Carey based on old records and memoirs. The accompanying booklet, also by Carey, describes historical sites in Duluth, which are number coded on the map. Sites include early houses, a sawmill, a schoolhouse, an early brewery, the Vermilion Trail, and a stone quarry.