Minnesotan Andrew Lindgren, who graduated from St. Cloud State in 1901 and in 1908, created a photograph album with images that he took ca. 1906-1909. The majority of the photographs were taken of the St. Cloud State campus, the immediate area around campus, and central Minnesota. The album also includes photographs from other cities in Minnesota, including the Twin Cities, Silver Creek, Watab, Stillwater, Buffalo, Monticello, Spicer, and Verndale. The album also has photos Lindgren took of Salt Lake City, Portland (Oregon), Annapolis (Maryland), Cripple Creek (Colorado), Seattle, Denver, New Orleans, New York City, Cape Cod, and Hawaii, as well as from British Columbia and Novia Scotia in Canada and Panama.
Top photo is a print of the campus in 1878. Bottom photo is a view of the campus in 1895, from the college to northeast. It shows part of 1 1/2 mile long, 8 ft high fence enclosing the discontinued Kittsondale Fairgrounds and Racetrack north of St. Anthony Avenue.
Portraits of Mankato State Normal School faculty and graduating class of 1877. The faculty are in the middle surrounded by the graduates. The faculty are from left to right and top to bottom: Mrs. Swann, Principal John, Miss Phillips, Mr. Miller, Mrs, Miles, Alma Pattee.
University Archives and Southern Minnesota Historical Center, Memorial Library, Minnesota State University, Mankato
The photograph album, donated to Minnesota Department of Transportation, contains 27 pages of 143 black and white photos from about 1940-1948. Most photos show James E. Chandler and his colleagues doing land surveying and paving work. Some are personal photos with families and friends. James E. Chandler was a Minnesota Highway Department employee.
Minnesota Department of Transportation, MnDOT Library
The National Youth Administration (NYA) program, which was part of the New Deal programs in the 1930s, focused on providing work and education for people between the ages of 16 and 25. This volume focuses on NYA efforts to improve the great outdoors of Minnesota as well as other work done by the NYA to educate and improve the health of its members. Images show men and women visiting with doctors and nurses, working in offices, gardens, and cemeteries, fixing engines, gardens, making clothing, repairing buildings, creating artwork, working with children, and other construction projects. Identified locations include a community center in St. Cloud, ski jumping slide in Glenwood, and Lester Park in Duluth. Volume 2 of 2.
The National Youth Administration (NYA) program, which was part of the New Deal programs in the 1930s, focused on providing work and education for people between the ages of 16 and 25. This volume focuses on the NYA resident camp in Shakopee, Minnesota, as well as NYA construction projects around the state, including building roadside rest areas with stone walls, barbeques, fire pits, and picnic tables in Stillwater, Glenwood, and Winona; retaining walls and stairways in Lester Park in Duluth; a historic roadside marker for Highway 10 outside of St. Cloud; log cabins in Lake Bemidji State Park and in Chisholm; and buildings in Alexandria including Noonan Park, Glenwood, Minneapolis, St. Paul and a proposed field house in St. Cloud that would become Brainard Hall at St. Cloud State University. Other locations included are Pine Lake near Aitken, Lion's Spring near Eveleth, garage in Cromwell, caddy house at University golf course in Minneapolis, Brighton Beach Municipal Tourist Park in Duluth, town hall in Outing, stone bath house in Gilbert, trout pool dam in Cannon Falls, and an aquarium at Tamarac Refuge near Detroit Lakes. Volume 1 of 2.
Eight page photograph album documenting the life of the Peck family of St. James, Minnesota. Images include portraits of the various Peck family members, as well as views of buildings in and around St. James. Buildings depicted include the St. James High School, the creamery and the Watonwan County Courthouse. There is an early image of the Mount Hope Cemetery. Also included are a number of images documenting the activities of the members of the local Grand Army of the Republic Post and Drum Corps.
Inez Torell (May 12, 1906 - September 26, 1969) compiled this photograph album that chronicles her life from childhood to adulthood. It includes Inez's family, friends, various hospitals she stayed in, hospital staff and patients. Many of the photographs include handwritten names, locations, dates, and comments.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Photographs of Minnesota Volunteers, 1861 to 1866, from the Whitney Negatives, now owned by Edward A. Bromley, Minneapolis, Minnesota. A collection of mounted Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)-size portrait photos, with a few of larger size. Not all photos listed in printed index are present.
Photo Album of Olive Kelly, staff member of Jones-Harrison Residence, which was established in 1888 by the Woman's Christian Association. The Jones-Harrison Residenced is believed to be Minnesota's longest continuously operating home to seniors.
This album features 69 pages of photographs taken from 1915 to 1930 at the Saint Peter State Hospital, in Saint Peter, Minnesota. The photos capture the work and social life of the employees at the hospital. They also show the exterior and interior of the original hospital building (page 15, page 24), and facilities such as Liberty Hall (page 30), the blacksmith shop (page 48), the operating room (page 65, page 67), the Tubercular building (page 71) and the kitchen (page 59). Nurses watch the administration of anesthetic (page 21). The dining hall and other rooms are decorated for Christmas celebrations (page 22, page 28). Many of the nurses featured were from the class of 1915. Several images also show the surrounding area, including the railroad bridge that crossed the Mississippi River near the hospital (page 50, page 69). August Palmer, who worked at the hospital for 54 years, is featured on page 6.
Photos in this album record the work and social settings at the Saint Peter State Hospital from 1915 to 1930. Included in the 29 pages of photos are group shots of employees, the men's sick room on the third floor of the original building (page 6), and musicians with their instruments (page 11). Among many other activities, employees play football (page 15) and walk the pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks that passed through the hospital grounds (page 28). Photos feature some of the original buildings at the hospital including sick wards (page 17), the operating room on the fourth floor (page 19), and Liberty Hall (page 29). August Palmer is shown in the lower right photo on page 20. Palmer worked at the hospital for 54 years. The last 17 pages of this album contain postcards of the Saint Peter State Hospital (page 33, page 35), and of the towns of St. Peter (page 37, page 38), which include the buildings of Gustavus Adolphus College (page 44), Winnebago (page 32, page 34, page 37, page 38, page 40) Lakefield (page 32, page 36, page 39), Wells (page 40) and Lake City (page 42, page 43, page 45), Minnesota, and cities from across the country. Lake Pepin is shown on page 45.
This album features 76 pages of photographs taken in the 1920s of the work and social life at the Saint Peter State Hospital, in Saint Peter, Minnesota. For example, nurses work in the women's sick room on the second floor of the original hospital building (page 7), the men's sick room on the third floor (page 42), and in the hospital library (page 9). Staff members administer anesthetic to patients (page 16, page 50). Other facilities include a shoe repair shop and steward's office (page 38), laundry building (page 30), diet kitchen (page 32), gymnasium (page 32), and the South Detached Ward for women patients (page 65). August Palmer, who worked at the hospital for 54 years, is the man on the right at a large desk on page 21 and on page 26 and is the third man from the left in the upper left photo on page 42.
The photograph album, donated to Minnesota Department of Transportation by Jim Newland, contains 122 pages of 290 black and white photos from about 1930-1960. The album belonged to R. O. "Bob" Langguth, who worked for about 33 years at the Minnesota Highway Department (circa 1930-1963). His son R. W. "Bob" Langguth (born 1922) worked at Minnesota Highway Department for a few years in the 1940s. This album also contains photos of many old-timers, including Les Miller, Bill Merritt, Dewey Mattson, et al.
Minnesota Department of Transportation, MnDOT Library
A 22-page photograph album with a paper cover and 18 photographs glued on the pages. Most of the photographs are of the exterior of farm houses and scenes of field work from around the Rushmore, Minnesota, area.
A collection of photos collected and organized by Carleton College student, Edith Griffith, Class of 1896. Her album includes photos from 1892 to 1926. She collected the majority of photos while she was at Carleton College until she was graduated in 1896.