Aftermath of the W.W. Eastman tunnel collapse that caused the loss of St. Anthony Falls to erosion. This image is by Arthur Adams, Minneapolis high school teacher, local historian, and photographer. Adams traveled throughout Minnesota, taking photographs to augment his lectures. His studio was located at 3648 Lyndale Avenue South in Minneapolis.
The construction of the Lake Zumbro Hydroelectric Power Plant dam began in 1917. The structure was designed by noted hydroelectric engineer, Hugh Lincoln Cooper. The dam, completed in 1919, is owned by Rochester Public Utilities. Looking toward the east bank, the Power house, with almost three walls completed, is visible in the center.
The construction of the Lake Zumbro Hydroelectric Power Plant dam began in 1917. The structure was designed by noted hydroelectric engineer, Hugh Lincoln Cooper. The dam, completed in 1919, is owned by Rochester Public Utilities. Three men are standing on the rim, looking into the excavation area.
This picture shows the amount of filling in done by Eastman; the fill extends from the bank on which the rocks are shown over to the extreme right hand side. The materials consisted of loose sans and some mud; rock was piled in later and little rock was used in the lower fill. Also shows Nicollet Island and the Hennepin Avenue bridge.
View looking upriver toward the lower dam; the gatehouse and lower dam water power station are along the Mississippi River; also includes the Minneapolis Western railroad bridge, Stone Arch Bridge, and Pillsbury A Mill.
Bird's-eye view taken from Church Hill of Lanesboro power dam built over the Root River in 1868. It was constructed on a foundation of solid stone and anchored at each side by rock bluffs. Houses and various village buildings are seen on north side of river. Photo taken by unknown photographer and later copied by Bue.