This two-story brick building was built in 1917. Then the street-level corner of the building was occupied by the Farmers State Bank. Later, the Pine River State Bank conducted business in the same space until 1974. Among original occupants was a pharmacy on Barclay Avenue, and a furniture store and funeral parlor on the First Street side. The second floor contained professional offices and apartments. The Gardiner family has operated businesses at this location since 1935. The original back addition to the building was destroyed by fire in 1973.
This building was erected in 1903 and housed the first bank in Pine River. Less than a year after completion, a druggist was hired to set up shop in part of the building. In 1919 the bank received a national charter becoming the First National Bank of Pine River.