Small post card of the aerial lift bridge with the span up and an outbound lake vessel in the canal. On Monday, July 1, 1929, the suspended car made its last trip across the canal. The bridge's modification to operate with a lift span began on April 8, 1929, with a low bid of $448,000 by the Kansas City Bridge Company. The Aerial Lift Bridge was first operated on March 19, 1930. During the shipping season it makes about 25 lifts a day.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
South Minnesota Avenue in St. Peter extends diagonally upward from a point slightly above the lower left corner of this aerial view and runs across the width of the image. The side streets are, from left to right, Nassau, Park Row, and Broadway. The Nicollet County Bank, the Nicollet Hotel, and the Johnson & Company building are among the visible businesses.
Minnesota Avenue runs along the bottom of this aerial view of St. Peter. Park Row can be seen at the far right, and St. Paul Street can be seen at the far left. The campus of Gustavus Adolphus College is visible in most of the upper left quadrant of the image.
This postcard shows Albin Ruikka and John Ruikka in their Maxwell ragtop convertible. The Maxwell automobile company was formed in 1904 and ceased to exist in 1925. The back of the postcard has handwriting saying, "Albin Ruikka John Ruikka in old Maxwell."
Color postcard of the American Board Mission in Fenchow, Shansi, China by Holmes and Flinn Architects out of Chicago Illinois. Carleton College participated in a mission program hear from the early 1900s until the late 1948.
View of the Swan J. Turnblad residence from Park Avenue. Completed in 1908, the Swan J. Turnblad mansion was built in the French Chateauesque style. The house became the American Swedish Institute in 1929.