Black and white print showing the interior of St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Belle Plaine. Seen are the main and side alters, a small balcony, several pews, banners, Stations of the Cross, and other decorations. Written on the backside of the image is "Decorated 1882/Inside of old Catholic Church Sts Peter and Paul/Belle Plaine, Mn."
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). In 1875, St. Joseph's parish, situated in the heart of Minneapolis, opened a small school for 50 pupils under the care of the Sisters of Charity. The following year, because of an expected increase in enrollment, the Benedictine Sisters from St. Joseph, MN, were asked to assume charge of the school. By 1882, a large new parish school was built. Within 30 years, the enrollment increased to 400 with 8 sisters teaching (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Group portrait of the Pope County Commissioners of 1882. Back row: Jared Emerson, Peder Engebretson, M. A. Wollan, auditor. Front row: Harold Irgens, George Brown, Gunder Tharaldson. Their terms only overlapped in 1882.
Interior of the Nicholas Neubeiser Meat Market in Belle Plaine. Meat and scale are on the counter. A kerosene lamp is hanging from ceiling. Sausage and ham are hanging from the wall. A calendar is hanging on the back wall. Lizzie Siegfried and Jake Schmitt are standing near the cash register.
Annual Report including: officers, directors, advisory board, and committees for year ending 1882 and for year ending 1883; president's address; finance report and list of contributors; expense account and treasurer's report; miscellaneous donations by month (including services); articles of incorporation (constitution); by-laws.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
Early ventures in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1880-1890). In 1882 Cecilia Hall was completed as a combination convent-academy; the north half became St. Benedict's Convent and the south half housed St. Benedict's Academy. That same fall, the academy catalogue was issued and St. Benedict's Academy took its place with the best schools of the day. It was the only finishing school in the vast territory between St. Paul and the Rocky Mountains and drew students mainly from western Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, Utah, Idaho and some from Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Iowa. The pupils coming from a distance were always chaperoned by sisters as the Northwestern Chronicle, a Catholic newspaper published in St. Paul, announced in its August 23, 1883 issue, "The female Academy of the Benedictine Sisters at St. Joseph, MN, opens on September 5. Pupils will find a sister to accompany them to school." (McDonald, page102) That year 12 ladies were accompanied by Sister Alexia Kerst on the train from St. Paul to St. Joseph. Though in the 1890s St. Benedict's Academy lost its position as the only finishing school in its territory, by 1910 plans were already underway to add college courses to the curriculum. Thus, the academy planted the seed that would sprout into the College of Saint Benedict which today is unique in its cooperation with the men's university at St. John's in Collegeville (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 100-108; Sister Grace McDonald, OSB, "A Finishing School in the 1880s," Minnesota History, June 1946).
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). In 1882, three Benedictine sisters opened a mission in Millerville and began teaching in the district school; 88 pupils were registered. However, after ten years of working in crowded and undesirable conditions, the sisters closed the mission. When the parish school, St. Mary's, was built in 1914, the sisters returned. High school classes were added for some time (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Publication detailing the purpose of the school, academic calendar, expenses associated with the school, admission requirements, classes offered, graduation requirements, and the model school. In addition, the catalog lists the faculty. The State Normal School, founded in 1869, changed names several times: St. Cloud State Teachers College (1921), St. Cloud State College (1957), and St. Cloud State University (1975).