Front view of the Wilder Charity Adminsitration Building, located on the corner of W. 5th Street and N. Washington Street in downtown St. Paul. The building housed the main offices of the Wilder Foundation, and other charities, from 1913 to 1982. The Ordway Theater now stands on the site.
An annual report documenting the main activities of the charity for the years 1917-1918. Departmental reports include: the relief department, visiting nurses, Wilder public baths, day nursery, health center, central registration bureau, food conservation, survey work and research.
A brief report on the activities of the Amherst H. Wilder Charity for the previous two years. The report includes information on the public baths, the Child Guidance Clinic, the Day Care Centers, the dispensary, social research, the Children's Center Building and the Wilder Administration Building.
A report published "on the occasion of the opening of the Amherst H. Wilder Health Center" to document the activities of the Wilder Charity from its beginning in 1906 to 1952. The report contains summaries of the organization's contributions to St. Paul health services, St. Paul community leisure time services, St. Paul's community organization services, and brief information on the Minnesota Foundation.
Photograph of the nursery building (later the Children's Center) located at the corner of Marshall Avenue and St. Albans Street, St. Paul, Minnesota. The building once housed the Protestant Orphan Asylum and was for a time home to the Wilder Child Guidance Clinic.
Amherst H. Wilder Foundation (St. Paul, Minnesota)
A report on the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation and its associate organizations, the Minnesota Foundation and the Victor M. Watkins Convalescent Home. The report includes background on the Foundation and the Wilder family, information on its operating policy and current services, background on the convalescent home (named after the first director of the charity), and details about the incorporation and activities of the Minnesota Foundation. It also contains details of new Wilder programs established in the 1950s, including Bremer House, Camp Wilder and a community transportation system.
The St. Paul Free Medical Dispensary was incorporated in 1897. Cornelia Day Wilder (1868-1903) was an early supporter, and James J. Hill was Board President. In 1923, Amherst H. Wilder Charities assumed complete financial and management responsibility for the organization. Physicians and residents at the dispensary worked free of charge to provide free medical and dental care to individuals in need.
A card listing the weekly clinics available at the Wilder Partidge Street Health Center. Details include the days, times, types of clinics and the names of doctors or organizations running the clinics.
A comprehensive directory of the charitable, civic, educational and religious resources of St. Paul. Commissioned and published by the Amherst H. Wilder charity in 1913, the directory was distributed free of cost to individuals and agenices carrying out charitable or social service work.
A short history of the Amherst H. Wilder Charity Visiting Nurses Department, from its beginning in 1906 until approximately 1922. The history includes information on the responsibilities of the nurses, policies of the department and staffing.
Manuscript of an article written about the history of the Wilder Child Guidance Clinic, which began in 1924. It includes general information on the running of the clinic as well as details about the clinic's connections to other Wilder programs, such as the dispensary, and its relationship to external community resources.
A survey carried out at the request of the St. Paul Association of Commerce. After visiting more than 5,000 dwellings, Wilder researchers concluded that housing conditions were "a menace to the health, safety and privacy of thousands of St. Paul people." The findings from the report led to the enactment of the first St. Paul housing ordinance in March, 1918.
A letter from a O. D. Storrs, in Winsted Lake, Minnesota, to an administrator at the Protestant Orphan Asylum. The woman has taken an orphaned boy, Charley, on a "trial" basis and explains in her letter that she has decided to adopt him permanently.