St. Benedict's Academy; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1891-1892 Tenth Annual Catalogue was published for the Academy of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota. Contents include description of institution, rules of discipline, course of studies, fees, general and wardrobe regulations, clubs, lists of students and awards, and closing programs.
William Ries posed with baseball. He is wearing a Shakopee baseball uniform. Right arm is stretched forward as if throwing, and right leg is back. He is looking straight on, but his eyes are to the right of the camera.
Looking northwest at a southbound car on Greenbrier Street. The caption reads "1880, and this is last car on Greenbrier before the line was moved to Payne Avenue" The caption appears to be incorrect as the line stayed on Greenbrier. The car depicted wasn't delivered until 1884.
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). This "cathedral on the prairie," like so many other churches dotting the landscape of Stearns County (sometimes referred to as "Little Germany") was reminiscent of the churches in the Old World. St. Martin's Parish first built the rectory (1875) and eleven years later built this church. They did not build a parochial school at this time, but, like most other German communities, invited the Benedictine sisters in 1877 to teach in the district school at St. Martin. The ensuing conflict so rocked the small Catholic community that the sisters chose to withdraw in 1891. After a sixty-year lapse of time, the parish built a parochial school for 212 pupils and the Benedictine sisters returned to teach there. It is most unusual that, despite the turmoil of the early history of St. Martin, fourty-four young women from St. Martin's Parish joined the Benedictine community in St. Joseph (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Annual college catalog listing courses of study, alumni, historical statement, calendar, admission requirements, general information, descriptions of departments, summary of students, detailed map, and lists of faculty and trustees. Includes both the Baldwin School (Preparatory Department) and Collegiate Department.
Annual reports of the Commission of Fisheries made to Governor William R. Merriam. Includes a discussion of the exhibit of native Minnesota fishes proposed for the Chicago World�s Fair Exhibit (1893 World's Columbian Exposition). Also contains the distribution of fish stocked throughout the state, breeding stock maintained, the reports of the state Fish Warden, and annual expenditures of the Commission. Appendix includes list of fish commissioners in United States and Canada (for 1890).
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). The original group of three Benedictine sisters who opened St. Bernard's School: Sisters Eugenia ONeill (seated), Secunda Hansen (right), Auxilia Kapsner (left). The number of sisters at St. Bernard's Parish increased in subsequent years to thirty sisters serving on the faculty of St. Bernard's School (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).