The tin from the roof of the Heaney Block was rolled up and dropped on the street by the force of the tornado. Just to the left (south) is the Cook House, built in 1869. The Heaney Block was built by Daniel Heaney in 1866. It was in this building, on the 3rd floor, where Dr. William W. Mayo set up temporary hospital for the care of those injured in the tornado. The tornado struck Rochester in the early evening of Aug. 21, 1883.
The T. P. Hall Buggy Works lost part of the roof and the side of the building in the 1883 tornado. Carriages and wagons are visible as well as the remains of an freight elevator structure. The business was located on the corner of College Street and Main Street. The tornado struck Rochester in the early evening of Aug. 21, 1883.
The Chicago & North Western Railroad yards received severe damage from the 1883 tornado. Box cars, buildings and stock pens were destroyed. The tornado struck Rochester in the early evening of Aug. 21, 1883.
The Zumbro River flooded a residential section of the city in this photo taken from the brewery. The area in the background would later become Soldiers Field Park. After several days of drenching rains along the Zumbro River basin, the river overflowed its banks in Rochester early on the morning of early on June 26, 1908. The river rose at a rapid rate (four feet in 20 minutes) and did extensive damage to the business and residential sections of the city.
Winter view of Roseau in 1893. It is believed to be the first picture taken of Roseau. The winter stagecoach is loading people in front of the hotel. O. B. Ekman's Land Office is across the street and Lindberg's Store is the building with the exterior staircase.
Richard and Marlene Witty suffered extensive damage to their home at 318 South Washington Avenue in a March 1998 tornado in St. Peter, Minnesota. The house to the south, at left in this photograph, was completely destroyed.