Note on back of photograph reads: About 1883 or 1884 taken from the G.N. depot, located between 5th and 6th Streets looking in a westerly direction. The following Morris Tribune article may refer to this photo as being one in a series of three. Mr. Elliott, the photographer, went out on the L.F. and D. road one day last week and made three photographs, instantaneous, of the snow plow and engine. In the first the engine and plow are at a stand-still; in the second the rate of speed is about eight miles per hour, and in the third is shown the effect on the plow in striking a drift at the rate of sixty miles an hour. Int the third picture nothing but a cloud of flying snow can be seen. Taken together, the three pictures make an interesting series. They are on sale at the gallery.
Two children are sitting on piles of bricks at the rear of the destroyed Rochester Harvester Works building. Piles of lumber and bricks surround the children. The tornado struck Rochester in the early evening of Aug. 21, 1883.
The destroyed C. Smith's residence is shown with the roof on the ground. In front of the collapsed building in a pile of rubble is a boot and a stove. The tornado struck Rochester in the early evening of Aug. 21, 1883.
Stereoview of golf ball sized hailstones piled on the wooden sidewalk from storm of June 22, 1880 in Moorhead. The hailstorm broke nearly every north facing window in town including the skylight at Ole. E. Flaten's photo studio.
The mill race is filled with debris and an overturned railroad car. The damaged Cole's Mill is in the background. A horse and buggy stand near the mill. John M. Cole, the proprietor of the mill was found dead in the street between the mill and his residence. He had apparently left the mill to go home when he was killed by the storm. The tornado struck Rochester in the early evening of Aug. 21, 1883.
The object in the foreground is a roll of tin that was torn off the Heaney Building by the 1883 tornado. The Heaney Block is on the right, with the Cook House across the street (to the left of Heaney Block). On the 3rd floor of Heaney Hall, Dr. William Worrall Mayo set up a temporary hospital for the care of those injured in the tornado. The tornado struck Rochester in the early evening of Aug. 21, 1883.
The tin from the roof of the Heaney Block was rolled up and dropped on the street by the force of the tornado. Just to the left (south) is the Cook House, built in 1869. The Heaney Block was built by Daniel Heaney in 1866. It was in this building, on the 3rd floor, where Dr. William W. Mayo set up temporary hospital for the care of those injured in the tornado. The tornado struck Rochester in the early evening of Aug. 21, 1883.
View of all that remains of the Charles Schultz farm following the cyclone of 1886. The farm is located four miles south of Rice's Station. This is the site where twelve people (including the groom and minister) died attending a wedding celebration.