Dr. Al Leman with piglets. Leman was an extension veterinarian at the University of Minnesota. In 1974, he helped to organize a conference for Minnesota pig farmers. Leman left the University of Minnesota in 1986. The University has continued to sponsor the conference, and named it in honor of Dr. Leman in 1992.
Bison bones were unearthed from a boggy area near a creek at Hansen Park in New Brighton by three boys, Steven Sullivan, Joe McHale, and Joe Evangelist. A neighbor, who was a geologist, identified the bones as from a bison, which lived sometime after the last glacier melted in the area some ten thousand years ago.
H.G. Laveral (right) and unidentified herdsman dipping a pig in lime and sulphur solution to control mange at the University of Minnesota, St. Paul campus. The poster in the background, produced by the University of Minnesota Extension Service, shows a hog louse and a hog mange mite.
Moose grazing in shallow water, presumably in northern Minnesota. Photo is marked on reverse: "Blindness due to eye worm." Minnesota's moose were suffering from a mysterious, deadly malady in the 1930s. University of Minnesota veterinary researchers worked to find the cause.
Draft horse with a large fibroma tumor between its front legs. The horse was part of a continuing education clinic for veterinarians held at the St. Paul campus of the University of Minnesota in 1934..
Veterinarians performing a field autopsy on a young cow moose 15 miles northeast of Grand Marais. Minnesota's moose were suffering from a mysterious, deadly malady in the 1930s, and efforts were made to find the cause. This photo is marked on the reverse: "Destroyed Oct. 11, 1933."
Demonstration of an injection technique to anesthetize a cow for surgery at the Division of Veterinary Medicine in the College of Agriculture, University of Minnesota. The University provided ongoing training to Minnesota veterinarians in a series of "short courses" during the first half of the twentieth century. This photo was taken at a short course on surgery in 1931.
Dog being spayed observed by a group of veterinarians and two boys. This photograph documents the University's Short Course for veterinarians, a form of continuing education that was available to all Minnesota veterinarians.
Steer with Johne's disease on the Charles Behr farm, Paynesville. The photo was probably meant to illustrate the test site in the shaved area on the steer's neck. A wattle and daub outbuilding is in the background. Notes on reverse of photo say: "tests made by Drs. [Clifford P.] Fitch and [Willard L.] Boyd" and: "Dunkin intradermal Johnin test." Fitch and Boyd were veterinarians in the School of Agriculture at the University of Minnesota. The Dunkin test was first publicized in 1928.
Horse being prepared for surgery. The abdomen is noticeably distended, surgery could be for a case of colic. The veterinarian adminstering the anesthetic is Dr. Clifford Fitch. This photograph documents the University's Short Course for veterinarians, a form of continuing education that was available to all Minnesota veterinarians.
Undue influences by the railroad and sanitation problems forced the operation to close in 1901. After the packing industry left the New Brighton area, the pens were used for many years for feeding and watering livestock before they were shipped to Chicago, Illinois, or Sioux City, Iowa. Sheep pens are shown in this photo.