Marshall-Wells Hardware merchandise is loaded and ready for delivery to various railroad lines for transport. The first horse-drawn sleigh will take the orders packed into it to the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha depot. The truck behind the sleigh is destined for the Soo Line depot. The next in line will be shipped on the Great Northern railway and the one after that will go to the Northern Pacific. The Union Depot served seven railroads including the GN and NP. It still stands as the St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center. All of the other depots are gone. The Marshall-Wells Company started in 1886 as Chapin and Wells Company a wholesale hardware business. Albert Morley Marshall, son of Seth, bought controlling interest in 1893 and changed the name to Marshall-Wells Company. The company grew to include 14 wholesale offices throughout the northwestern U.S. and Canada. In 1955 Ambrook Industries Inc. of New York bought controlling interest. Kelley-How-Thomson and Marshall-Wells merged January 1, 1958. Kelley-How-Thomson had been a subsidiary of Marshall-Wells since 1955 when Ambrook bought Marshall-Wells and reorganized. The Coast-to-Coast Stores bought the Duluth division of Marshall-Wells-Kelley-How-Thomson Company in 1958, which ended the Duluth firm's operation. Also in the image are the People's Hotel 246 Lake Avenue South, and the Lyceum Theater billboard.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
This photograph shows a horse-drawn sled in St. Peter on South Third Street. The old Fire Station, with its steeple, can be seen near the far left, and the J. M. Peterson blacksmith shop can be seen on the future site of the St. Peter Post Office.
Two motorcycles, one with a sidecar, in front of the building at 401 South Minnesota Avenue in St. Peter. The building contained both the Post Office and the Sorenson Millinery store when the photograph was taken. The men are, from left to right, Bill Ritt, Art Wacholz, and Jack Iverson.
A fleet of Jeffery brand automobiles manufactured by the Thomas B. Jeffery Company of Kenosha, Wisconsin line up on Main Street in Lanesboro for a promotional photograph. The cars were sold locally by George J. McMaster.
Fargo Moorhead Electric Street Railway streetcar number 5 turns off Front Street (Center Avenue) onto 4th Street North in downtown Moorhead. The view is to the northeast of Front Street just east of 4th Street. Visible beyond the streetcar is Pederson Brothers' Mercantile Company wholesale liquor distributing business and, in the distance at right, I. C. Week's grocery store.
Erastus Church with a vegetable wagon and a white horse. Erastus Church was a colorful Worthington character who peddled vegetables, picked up junk and distinguished himself by having a street named in his honor, because he lived on that street. The photograph is dated September 26, 1900. Poster in the window promotes the candidacy of William McKinley over William Jennings Bryan. It proclaims: "McKinley was right in 1896." Note: This information taken from a newspaper article with same picture, in the Worthington Centennial July 22, 1972. We think it is a Buchan photo but don't know for sure.
Open wagon pulled by two horses. Mr. and Mrs. Reis on front seat (Mr. Reis holding reins). Four people in wagon: Charles Townsend (standing), Magel Stratton (hat on), Dell Jackson (in white), and Mrs. Oberst (in rear). Buildings to left of wagon and dirt street to right, with houses in the distant. Electric poles directly behind wagon and into distance.