Note reads: "Taken in 1896. Residence and offices of Dr. John Wesley Andrews, 510 South Second St., Mankato, Minn. Office entrance: 125 E. Cherry St. Dr. Roy Andrews, son of J. W. and Cornelia Andrews daughter of Roy were born here (in this building)." Now Kahler Motel (1979).
Carson Pharmacy in Detroit, Minnesota (became Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, in 1926). Dave Carson is standing outside his store which was located on the northeast corner of Washington Avenue and Front Street.
The Cook Block was built by John Ramsey Cook in 1877. Because of the confusion with the Cook Hotel building, which he built in 1869, he renamed the Cook Block the Ramsey Block (for his mother). This building was located at 20 Second Street SW (formerly Zumbro Street). C. F. Massey Company later moved to this location. In 1883, Dr. William Worrall Mayo rented the first floor for his offices, consulting and operating room. The laboratories were on the second floor. Dr. W. W. Mayo and his two sons, Dr. William J. Mayo and Dr. Charles H. Mayo, operated their medical practice in this building until 1901. This building is the earliest location of what would later become the Mayo Clinic.
City Drug Store, South Front Street, with Doctor McMahan's Office, five men, and horse and buggy. Caption on back reads, "James Ray Tinkcom, who arrived in Mankato in 1856, operated the City Drug Store. Mr. Tinkcom studied medicine in New York before coming to Mankato and he later undertook the manufacture of certain medicines. The City Drug Store was located on the corner of Front and Hickory Streets. In the photograph above, a sign at the top of the stairway carried the name of Dr. William McMahan. It is believed the man standing at the top of the stairs is Dr. McMahan. In 1856 four doctors, Dr. Moses R. Wickersham, Dr. William R. McMahan, Dr. William F. Lewis and Dr. A. G. Dornberg, arrived in Mankato and opened offices."