An exterior photograph of T. T. Warenas Implement Shop. A house and another building can be seen in the background. Several men pose on the porch with heavy winter coats on, while young boys pose in shirt-sleeves.
After the fire in 1905, St. Raphael's Hospital (II) was restored and the 3rd and 4th floors added on; this increased its capacity to 90 beds. The building to the right was then converted from an art/music academy to St. Raphael's Hospital School of Nursing (1908-1928). In 1915 the School of Nursing received state accreditation and in 1928 was moved to the new St. Cloud Hospital. [Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives , McDonald, ppage258-259]
Though often stereotyped as the sternest of the Norwegian-American Lutherans, this photo shows a group of Norwegian Synod seminary students having fun with a good old-fashioned snowball fight at its seminary, Luther Seminary, on Hamline Avenue. Front of photograph reads: Snow-balling at Lut. Sem., 1906.
A 1906 photo of Sacred Heart Institute. In 1904, the Duluth Benedictine sisters moved into their first motherhouse, Sacred Heart Institute, constructed on a two-lot site at Third Avenue East and Third Street. This building housed both the sisters and the girls' academy of the same name. In 1909, the Academy and many of the sisters moved to the new Kenwood site, and the building eventually became the residence for St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing.
Exterior of the Prime Hotel in Storden, moved into Storden from Copenhagen with Gus Fredrickson as the first manager. Six men pose for their picture in front of the two-story hotel. A bicycle leans against the porch.
Several horse-drawn wagons filled with milk cans are visible outside of the North Star Creamery in Oshawa Township in Nicollet County. The building was located at the intersection of Highways 99 and 13.
Mr. Milavitz stands in front of his store. A young girl stands to the side of the doorway and a child in a carriage is visible on the left side. Many avenues of employment were closed to Jews, resulting in a concentration of Jews earning a living as small shopkeepers. Many graduated from peddling to keeping a store after years of travel and establishing accounts on the road.
University of Minnesota Libraries, Nathan and Theresa Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives