WPA workers building sidewalks in front of the Grand Marais Ice Cream Store with the Grand Marais State Bank shown in the background. Highway 61 is visible coming into Grand Marais, MN. Workers are pushing wheelbarrows and line today's Wisconsin Street.
WPA building sidewalks; photo taken at the corner of present day Wisconsin St. and First Ave. West in Grand Marais, MN. Men are leveling cement. Notice the posters on pole are for Elmer Benson, would-be 24th Minnesota state governor, and a dance at the Edgewater Inn in Tofte, MN.
Industrial Committee of the Young Women's Christian Association of Duluth, Minnesota
Booklet describing and summarizing a 1945 survey of Duluth employers and women employees in local manufacturing, transportation, retail and wholesale businesses, laundries, hotels, and restaurants to gather information about the workplace experiences and needs of women entering the blue-collar work force after World War II. Survey questions also addressed needs outside of work and attitudes toward unions and racial minorities.
Thief River Falls Volunteer Fire Department: B: Albert Lonson, Charles Robbecke, Jesse LaBree, Jim Farr, M: Lewis Lonson, Ed. Jaranson, Chris Paulson, Emil Zeh, Geo. Curran, Ed Langevin; Front: C.C. Schuster, Paul Meddrigh, Christ Porter, C. Erickson, Dennis LeSage, Eric Bakke, Phil Zeh
The U.S. Department of Interior Bureau of Mines presented a Certificate of Mine Rescue Training to Charles H. Isaacson in June 1914. It certified that Charles H. Isaacson of Virginia, Minnesota had been trained in the use of mine rescue apparatus at the Government Mine Rescue Station at Car No. 8 Virginia during which training he performed hard labor within a gallery filled with noxious and irrespirable gases and gave evidence of being qualified to use such apparatus within mines.
The U.S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Mines presented a Certificate of Award in Safety for disabling accident-free operation on July 1968. The certificate denotes the awarding of the Sentinel of Safety statue for display at the mine or mine offices.
Image of a fire tower shows from top to bottom, tower is in an unidentified location. The CCC built many fire towers, just one of the important ways they assisted with forest fire control. Stamped on back is Joseph R. Florian.
Underground miner in shaft, featuring leather helmet with candle. The location of this photograph is unknown; but the Iron Range includes parts of the following Minnesota counties: Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake and St. Louis.
Black-and-white silent film shows the exterior and interior of the Broadway Avenue fire station with firemen doing various tasks.The following events take place: (00:29) Bob Laack tests the air pressure in the tires on a fire truck. (00:54) The Maxim Aerial #1 ladder truck had a battery that swung out and was regularly tested. (01:27) Fireman Walt Clark is working on one of the many reports that needed to be completed after each incidence. (01:47) Jerry Jerabek checks over the paperwork. (02:16) The 1960 Bean fire truck is seen pulling out of the fire station. (02:28) The Diamond TT truck, Engine 11, hooks up to a fire hydrant to get water. (02:42) Firefighter Elgin Norman is pulling out fire hose. (03:02) Paul Clark holds a nozzle and demonstrates how water sprays from the hose. (03:24) The many dials and gauges firemen needed to monitor on the fire truck.(04:02) Firemen test the hoses. (04:42) The Maxim Aerial tillered ladder truck, which was eventually sold to East Grand Forks, does a practice drive. (04:52) Harvey Miller throws a chock under the wheels of the Maxim truck and Virg Nielsen pushes it completely under. (05:07) The aerial ladder is raised for training. The ladder truck was built in West Germany and assembled in Connecticut. A couple was hired to drive it to Minnesota. Lester Christopherson is at the end of the ladder. (06:53) The 1951 Ware LaFrance truck exits the fire station on Broadway. (07:07) The 1960 John Bean truck backs into the station on Broadway. There were no cabs on fire trucks at that time. (07:52) Hoses were laid out on the floor at Fire Station #2 to be carefully loaded back onto a truck. (08:24) Ken Chase on the bed of the truck with Bob Lovett, on the left, reloading hoses and Marv McGowan assisting. (08:57) Fireman Lester does Monday checks on the 1920 Arends Fox engine. (09:20) Closeups of the exterior of ladder truck #32, the American LaFrance. (10:01) Exterior images of Engine No. 31. (10:11) Bob Johnson sits at the alarm dispatch station, receiving calls and sending out the fire trucks as needed. (10:35) Firefighter Buzz Alexander is shown in conversation at the fire station.(10:40) Jerry Lenner is standing by the firefighter's lockers. (10:58) When a call comes in, firefighters sprint to their gear. Elgin Springen and Bob Wood put on their gear. Some men slide down the pole from upstairs to reach the trucks quickly. (11:34) Jerry Jerabek checks out the generator at the fire station. (12:06) Harvey Miller, called a mechanical genius by Chief Mertz, fixes a carburetor on a fire truck. (12:26) The on-duty firemen sit down for a quick meal of stew and Wonder bread. On the bottom right, and going counterclockwise around the table is Kerm Bormann, Lionel Bateman, Tom Beagle, Mark Riess Sr., Buzz Alexander (coming through the door with the sweater on). Don Johnson is on the left side, wearing glasses.