litho print, may be hand-colored; view of Fort Snelling from the Mississippi River from opposite shore looking up towards the Round House and Barracks with ferryboat crossing the river; man standing in foreground on shore
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
This is a photograph of Po-Go-Nay-Ke-Shick, also known as Hole in the Day, an Ojibway Native American. The photograph was taken in the studio of St. Paul photographer Joel E. Whitney. The photograph was purchased in 1862 by a woman from Indiana.
A handwritten manuscript written by Richard Coxe (1817-1898) chronicling the journey of Edward and Mary Coxe, parents of Richard Coxe and Robert Coxe, from Waterford, Ireland, first to Boston, Massachusetts, and then New York, New York, where Edward died. Mary remarried and died shortly thereafter leaving her sons in the care of her new husband. The manuscript depicts the conditions and circumstances that separated the brothers, Robert and Richard, until their reunion as adults and ultimately brought Richard north to White Bear, Minnesota, where he died in 1898. The manuscript was written circa 1880.
A small certificate certifying that the undersigned "was one of the original subscribers to the endowment of the Presidency of Macalister [sic] College." This particular certificate shows Louis S. Burbank gave one dollar to the Synod Fund, signed by Daniel Rice, Synod Secretary, on April 19, 1883.
From a bi-weekly periodical titled Vatican Library (Issue 22, Mar. 15, 1884). Contents: Plea for temperance by Father Thomas Nicholas Burke; Catholic temperance cause by Rev. Henry Athanasius Brann; Wise prelate's warning by Archbishop James Roosevelt Bayley; Doctrine of the Catholic Church about liquor by Bishop Bernard O'Reilly of Liverpool; Rules for home education; Liquor traffic and law by Bishop John Ireland; Peril of the age (on newspapers) by Bishop Joseph Thomas Duhamel of Ottawa; and Notes on Catholic reading. Library call no.: HV5072 .T9 1884
University of St. Thomas - Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library
Annual college catalog listing courses of study, admission requirements, general information, descriptions of departments, summary of students, and lists of faculty and trustees. Students and courses are listed for both the Preparatory Department (Junior, Middle, and Senior) and Collegiate Department (Ancient Classical and Modern Classical). Includes "In Memoriam of The Rev. Nathaniel S. McFetridge, D.D."
Letter from Euphemia (Effie) Miller Loag Osborn to her sister, Julia Loag, in which she writes about: deciding upon a place to live and purchasing furnishings; some of the Hamline staff; visiting Minneapolis and attending a dog show in Saint Paul; social visits; and her health.
Letter from Euphemia (Effie) Miller Loag Osborn to her sister, Julia Loag, in which she writes about: problems at Julia's school; how dull Hamline is; her home life and how considerate her husband is; the Saint Paul Winter Carnival; the new Saint Paul Courthouse; Hamline's Science Hall and its biology space; temperature recordings for January 15 to 22.
Letter from Euphemia (Effie) Miller Loag Osborn to her mother, Emily Taylor Snyder Loag, in which she writes about: Minnesota's climate; her mother's health and her own, including a severe cold and a case of frost bite; her piano lessons; a friend's engagement and the effect on his family; and the Saint Paul Winter Carnival.
Macalester College Contributions: Department of History, Literature and Political Science are a series of articles on varying American and European historical topics written by Edward Duffield Neill between the years 1889 and 1892. Number four of the second series consists of the article, "The Ideal Versus the Real Benjamin Franklin."
Macalester College Contributions: Department of History, Literature and Political Science are a series of articles on varying American and European historical topics written by Edward Duffield Neill between the years 1889 and 1892. Number ten of the second series consists of the article, "A Contribution to the Medical History of the American Army During the War for Independence."
Annual college catalog listing courses of study, alumni, admission requirements, general information, descriptions of departments, summary of students, and lists of faculty and trustees. Includes information for both the Baldwin School (Preparatory Department) and Collegiate Department.
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). By 1890, St. Bernard's Parish, clustered around Rice Street in St. Paul, furnished a combination church and school for 220 pupils. Three Benedictine sisters opened a mission there. With frequent additions and finally a new school, St. Bernard's became the largest grade school staffed by the Benedictine sisters -- eventually having an enrollment of 1,280 students (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Schools in south-central Minnesota (1876-1909). The original group of three Benedictine sisters who opened St. Bernard's School: Sisters Eugenia ONeill (seated), Secunda Hansen (right), Auxilia Kapsner (left). The number of sisters at St. Bernard's Parish increased in subsequent years to thirty sisters serving on the faculty of St. Bernard's School (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Looking northwest at a southbound car on Greenbrier Street. The caption reads "1880, and this is last car on Greenbrier before the line was moved to Payne Avenue" The caption appears to be incorrect as the line stayed on Greenbrier. The car depicted wasn't delivered until 1884.
1892 annual report of the Board of Public Works of the City of St. Paul. This report tells the story of the development and use of the roads, sidewalks, sewers, gas lines and electricity. This information is gathered from primary resources of the period and goes into much detail. This reliable information is presented in reports, fold out statistical data sheets, maps, black and white photographs and sketches.
Proceedings of the twenty-fourth general convention of the Catholic Total Abstinence Union of America held in St. Paul, Minnesota, August 1, 2, and 3, 1894. Appendix includes: Convention address of 94 by Joseph Bernard Cotter, Bishop of Winona and president of the national CTAU; The duty of Catholics in temperance work by Archbishop John Ireland; Minutes of the mass meeting, Aug. 2, 1894, including keynote address by Dr. McSweeny of New York; Educational work in the temperance movement by Alexander Patrick Doyle; and the constitution of the CTAU of America. University of St. Thomas, Archibishop Ireland Memorial Library call number: HV5287.C3 A3 1894
University of St. Thomas - Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library
Top photo is a print of the campus in 1878. Bottom photo is a view of the campus in 1895, from the college to northeast. It shows part of 1 1/2 mile long, 8 ft high fence enclosing the discontinued Kittsondale Fairgrounds and Racetrack north of St. Anthony Avenue.
Printed program for the Minnesota Library Association fifth annual meeting held December 29, 1896 in St. Paul at the State Library Association offices and in Minneapolis at the Public Library. Cited topics and agenda items include school and college libraries, recent A.L.A. meeting, public library patrons, children in libraries, fund raising for town libraries, reports from the libraries in Anoka, Red Wing, Mankato, Stillwater, and St. Cloud, responsibilities of the library trustee, and the business meeting with election of officers, plus statement of persons eligible to join the association and persons invited to attend the annual meeting, the program of events, place of meeting, railroad rates, statement of value of attending the meeting, and a call for questions to be discussed.
Members of the Snyder Band, seated on the steps of the entrance to Old Main, playing musical instruments. First row: Harry W. Vincent, Class of 1898; Hugh S. Alexander, 1899; Lester D. Brown, instructor. Second row: R.E. Clark, 1899; Roy W. Smits, 1900. Third row: Mitchell, 1898; Charles W. Hansen, 1897; Arthur A. Palmer, 1897; William O. Pederson. Fourth row: Carleton Koons, 1898; John M. Guise, 1898; David W. Morgan, 1898.
Photo of eleven male band members in suits with brass musical instruments. First row: (missing); Hugh S. Alexander, Class of 1899; Ralph E. Clark, 1899. Second row: Roy Smits, 1900; (missing); Elmer Smits, 1899; (missing). Third row: (2 missing); John Guise, 1898; Carleton Koons, 1898.
This collection of annual reports of the Board of Public Works of the City of St. Paul from 1885/86 through 1900 tells the story of the development and use of the roads, sidewalks, sewers, gas lines and electricity. This information is gathered from primary resources of the period and goes into much detail. This reliable information is presented in reports, fold out statistical data sheets, maps, black and white photographs and sketches.
Nineteen Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet standing in front of a St. Joseph's Hospital entrance. The Sisters opened the hospital in 1853 in the log cabin Chapel of St. Paul on Bench Street. This photo is taken at the hospital's third and current site. The hospital joined the HealthEast System in 1987.
Dinner for delegates of the General Conference of the Evangelical Association in 1899 held at the Pine Street church in St. Paul. Bishops Horn, Breyfogel and Bowman are identified in the photograph. "St. Paul Pine Street church extended the invitation for the General Conference of the Evangelical Association to hold its annual meeting in St. Paul. A vacant store building was rented and fitted up for a dining hall and kitchen on the first floor. The second floor was made into sleeping apartments" (Utzinger's History of the Minnesota Conference of the Evangelical Association 1856 to 1922, p. 181). This is the only time the General Conference met in Minnesota. To finance the event offerings were taken at all of the Minnesota Conference congregations and $403.29 was raised.
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church