Construction of the Lake Zumbro Hydroelectric Power Plant dam began in this area of the Zumbro River in 1917. The structure was designed by noted hydroelectric engineer, Hugh Lincoln Cooper. The dam, completed in 1919, is owned by Rochester Public Utilities.
The Zumbro River, located near Zumbrota, Minnesota. This image is by Arthur Adams, Minneapolis high school teacher, local historian, and photographer. Adams traveled throughout Minnesota, taking photographs to augment his lectures. His studio was located at 3648 Lyndale Avenue South in Minneapolis.
After several days of drenching rains along the Zumbro River basin, the river overflowed its banks in Rochester early on the morning of early on June 26, 1908. The river rose at a rapid rate (four feet in 20 minutes) and did extensive damage to the business and residential sections of the city. This photo was taken from the Third Street mill overlooking Mayo Park. The little round bandstand is visible in the trees in the center of the photo. The Center Street bridge is in the left rear.
The Zumbro Flour Mill was owned by John M. Cole. This mechanical drawing provides a cross section of the mill and includes details on the water wheel, separator, cockle machine, bran duster, purifier, wheat bins, stock hopper, flour bins, grading wheels and receiving elevator and other machinery.
Hilma Berglund printed this card in black ink on red paper, cut into a triangle, mounted onto slightly larger triangles of aqua and black paper, and trimmed with silver lurex thread. An envelope and letter match the aqua paper trimming the card. The card is 9 x 21 cm. There are two handwritten note on the letter.
Portraits of Pastor Theodore Fossum, confirmation class members, and an inset photograph of the Twenty-fifth Avenue West and Third Street church building's exterior and interior, are grouped in this photograph.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Exterior view of the Zion Lutheran Church, built circa 1897 and demolished circa 1924. Women sat on the left side and men on the right side. Lender was baptized in this church.
St. Paul's College in St. Paul Park, organized in 1889 offered both a preparatory and collegiate course. St. Paul's was organized and supported by the Northern German Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. This conference included German Methodist congregation in Minnesota plus some in Wisconsin and North Dakota. The school operated until 1917, closing under financial difficulties and the stress of being a German-speaking institution during World War I. Supporters were encouraged to shift allegiance to Hamline University.
Contributing Institution:
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
Photograph showing the front exterior of Zion Evangelical Church. The brick and stucco building had two entrances and a square steeple. This church was dedicated November 27, 1921. This is the third building of this congregation and cost $24,000.
Contributing Institution:
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
The Zinsmaster Baking Company began in Duluth in 1913 as the Zinsmaster-Smith Bread Company, Harry W. Zinsmaster and R. F. Smith partners. The small local enterprise grew to one of national importance. Principal company staff retired in 1977 and 1978, and Zinsmaster was acquired by Metz Baking Company in January 1978.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
United States Department of the Interior Geological Survey; State of Minnesota, Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Commission
Date Created:
1951
Description:
Zim quadrangle topographic map (N4715-W9230/7.5) featuring handwritten notations by Ray Segar in red ink regarding logging railroad lines in Clinton Township.
Photograph of Zig Zag Tennis Club at the M. G. Norton Home. Standing left to right: Benton Hatcher, Maude Laird, Bud Whipple, and Helen Horton. Seated left to right: Beulah Norton, Neville Staughton, Margaret Lamberton, Bert Norton, John Blunt, Gertrude Keeler, Mame Whipple and Mathew Norton.
Zenith restaurant business and workers; identified workers; 529 west Superior street; manager Archie Gish in white; meals ten cents; signs in window for Forepaugh and Sells circus in July
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Zenith Furnace Company opened in 1902. This complex eventually included a blast furnace, a coal dock, and sixty-five coke ovens located on eighty acres of land along St. Louis Bay. The company produced pig iron, was active in the wholesale coal trade, and sold by-products such as ammonia gas, coal gas, and coal tar. Later purchased by Interlake Iron Corporation, the facility served as the northernmost merchant of pig iron plant in the United States until it closed permanently in 1962.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
This is the West Duluth plant of the Zenith Furnace Company. West Duluth is a neighborhood of Duluth. Captain August B. Wolvin bought the aging blast furnace at this Fifty-seventh Avenue West location, modernized it and organized Zenith Furnace to operate it. It produced pig iron. It was incorporated in 1902. The plant produced 175 tons of product in 24 hours. In one month in 1916, a record of 310 tons of pig iron was produced in 24 hours. The site covers 80 acres and includes a coal dock. Coal gas, ammonia, and coal tar are by-products. It employed 350 men with a payroll of $35,000 a month in 1916.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Photographer Frederick Johnson copied an old print of the 1887-1889 baseball club members Hector McDougall, William McGowan, Frank Nathan, George Hughes, William Hall, Archie McDougall, Frank Druke, Dan McDougall, Fack Nett, Charles Mallinson, Frank Hall, and Ed Connelly.
Contributing Institution:
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Signpost reading "Pike's Monument" with trees in the background. The monument is located near Little Falls, Minnesota. This image is by Arthur Adams, Minneapolis high school teacher, local historian, and photographer. Adams traveled throughout Minnesota, taking photographs to augment his lectures. His studio was located at 3648 Lyndale Avenue South in Minneapolis.
A letter from Z. Barriger to Solomon G. Comstock requesting assistance in receiving his Civil War pension. Also includes the claimant form and a summary of the claim.