This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools for the 1884-1885 school year. In addition to the Treasurer, Clerk and Superintendent's reports, this volume also includes a report from the Drawing Master, Adolph Rudolph.
This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools for the 1883-1884 school year. This volume includes ""Rules for the Government of Schools,"" a syllabi of subjects covered in each of the grades, and a list of the ten individuals who had graduated from high school from 1879 to 1883.
This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools, for the 1887-1888 school year. The report contains detailed descriptions of the curriculum for each subject from first grade through high school.
This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools, for the 1888-1889 school year. At this point in time Duluth owned eleven schools and was making plans for Endion School, east of Chester Creek and enrollment was double what it had been in 1885.
This is the annual report for the Duluth Public Schools, for the 1889-1890 school year. It includes the text of a legislative act fixing the boundaries of the Independent School District of the City of Duluth.
This 1890 atlas embraces the corporations of West Duluth and Lakeside and the platted lands adjoining; also acreage maps of the territory in the State of Minnesota, within a radius of about twelve miles, showing the property of the different land and improvement companies. The atlas shows houses, businesses, government buildings, schools, and churches. It includes an index of correct titles of all Duluth additions, divisions, and sub-divisions.
This typescript was copied in November 1926 from Alfred Merritt's original 1915 manuscript. The author described his family's experience on the north shore of Lake Superior from the time of their arrival via steamboat in 1856 until the year 1894, including accounts of pioneers, settlers and land claims, and the discovery of iron ore on the Mesaba Range. Merritt also addressed the creation and demise of the Duluth, Missabe and Northern Railroad.
This booklet describes the steel and wire-making process at the Minnesota Steel Plant in Morgan Park in the 1920s. Topics include raw material for wire making, the galvanizing department, the barb wire and woven fence department, the wire nail department, and the steel plant. The booklet includes photographs of Morgan Park homes, the Lake View Store in Morgan Park, and one of the community's infant playgrounds. A small map of Morgan Park shows locations of steel plant offices, the school, churches, the hospital, and community garages.
This photograph by Paul B. Gaylord and Edward A. Thompson shows the Clark House, Duluth's second hotel, which opened in July of 1870 on the 100 block of West Superior Street; it was destroyed by fire on November 16, 1881.
This booklet describes the planning and building of the Duluth Aerial Ferry Bridge in 1904-1905. Many photographs and drawings illustrate the progress and describe the working of the bridge. Details on dimensions, specifications, and costs of operation are provided.
A description of the directory from the title page: A complete alphabetical list of business firms and private citizens; a classified list of all trades, professions and pursuits; a Miscellaneous directory of city and county ofices, public and private schools, churches, banks, incorporated institutions, etc. Sold only by subscription.
In addition to numerous photographs and some written history, this large book provides information on the town of Duluth, Minnesota, in 1887, including sections on the geographic situation, the harbor, the St. Louis River and water power, churches and schools, railways, the grain market, the Board of Trade, and banking. Photographs include many birds-eye views of Duluth, Rice's Point, grain elevators, the Exchange Building, the Duluth National Bank Building, the Duluth Boat Club House, the Board of Trade Building, the Fargusson Block, the Grand Opera House, the Hotel St. Louis, the Spalding Hotel under construction, and individual homes of R.S. Munger and John P. Johnson.
This circa 1890 book contains about 70 photographs of scenes of Duluth, Minnesota. A four-page text at the beginning describes the city of the 1890s, including boulevards and drives, educational institutions, harbor and shipping, commerce and manufacturing, and railroads. Some of the photographs show the Paladio Building, the Board of Trade, Minnesota Point from the Spalding Hotel, the Phoenix Block, Central High School, the Hardy School, and residences of J.D. Ensign, Col. C.H. Graves, Robert C. Ray, O.G. Traphagen, and W.C. Sargent.
This map of Duluth and the surrounding area as of 1865 was drawn by R.E. Carey based on old records and memoirs. The accompanying booklet, also by Carey, describes historical sites in Duluth, which are number coded on the map. Sites include early houses, a sawmill, a schoolhouse, an early brewery, the Vermilion Trail, and a stone quarry.
This 1921 street map of the Duluth, Minnesota, and Superior, Wisconsin, area includes streetcar lines, railroads, parks, schools, farms, cemeteries, docks, grain elevators, the Duluth-Superior Ferry Line, the Duluth Boat Club, and other details. There is a separate index for both Duluth and Superior.
This report of the Board of Commissioners for Duluth, Minnesota, describes the city's parks, including improvements made during 1911 and planned improvements. The book includes photographs of some parks, including Lincoln Park, Congdon Park, Lake Front Park, Fairmont Park, and Chester Park.
This is a collection of postcards with images from Duluth and northern Minnesota, and advertisements representing Duluth and area businesses, from about the 1930s. Some of the postcards are of Enger Park Municipal Golf Course, St. Mary's Hospital, Boulevard Drive, the Duluth Boat Club, Northland Country Club, the Hotel Holland, the Duluth Armory, and the steamship Juniata in the Duluth-Superior harbor. Business advertisements represented include Griffith's Interior Design, Enger & Olson Inc., Duluth Ice and Fuel Co., Hansen Fish Co., Peerless Laundry, Lundmark-Olson Co., Duluth Poultry Co., Gershgol's Economy Markets Inc., and the Shrine Auditorium Garage.
Judge John R. Carey, an early settler on the north shore of Lake Superior, wrote this account of the history of Duluth and northern Minnesota until 1870. He describes early exploration of the area, the surveying of the town of Superior, missionary efforts in the area, early elections, the building of railroads, the development of iron ore deposits and interesting anecdotes about residents and events.
This history of the Duluth Diocese of the Catholic Church, which was formed in 1889 and embraced the counties of Aitkin, Becker, Beltrami, Carlton, Cass, Clay, Cook, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Itasca, Kittson, Lake, Marshal, Norman, Pine, Polk, and St. Louis, includes short biographies of early missionaries in Northern Minnesota. It also has histories and photographs of some early Catholic churches, schools, orphanages, and hospitals, information on Indian missions and on the Sisters of St. Benedict, who founded Duluth's St. Mary's Hospital and four other hospitals in the diocese. The book also provides a list of priests who worked in the diocese from 1889 to 1914.
St. Louis County Country Club (Gilbert, Minnesota)
1950 - 1970
The map of northern Minnesota's Arrowhead region shows highways with inset photographs of attractions including mines, mills and picturesque streams. The reverse side includes lists of points of interest and resort accommodations and photographs
Fort William, Canada Civic Tourist Bureau; Port Arthur, Canada Chamber of Commerce
1920 - 1929
This circa 1920s map of the Lake Superior International Highway between Duluth, Minnesota, United States, and Port Arthur and Fort William, Ontario, Canada, provides brief descriptions of towns and geographic features along the route, including Two Harbors, Silver Creek Cliff, Lutsen, Grand Marais, and Kakabeka Falls. The map includes photographs of sites such as Split Rock Lighthouse, Cross River, Arrowhead River, the Port Arthur Hotel, and Mt. McKay.
United States Congress, Senate, Committee on Commerce, 42nd Congress, 2nd session
This 62-page document, from the 42nd Congress, 2nd Session, reproduces letters regarding the digging of the canal that connected the Duluth harbor with Lake Superior in 1871. The first letter, from William W. Belknap, Secretary of War, describes the process that was followed to dig the canal. Following letters, often exchanged between engineers or politicians and J.J. Egan, city attorney for Duluth, contain a discussion of the legality of the canal being dug as well as a discussion of the building of a dike to keep the waters of the St. Louis River from flowing through the canal and filling the Superior, Wisconsin, entry with silt. (United States Congress, Senate, Committee on Commerce, 42nd Congress, 2nd session, no. 60 Senate Executive Document.)
This photograph by Paul B. Gaylord from the 1880s or early 1890s looks to the south from Duluth's hillside to Rice's Point and shows the 1871 railroad roundhouse to the east of Garfield Avenue and the steeple of Second Presbyterian Church at 1515 West Superior Street.
Lowrey's Map of the City of Duluth. Included in the map: a key to city streets, the Corporate Limits of Duluth, the Lake Superior shoreline and the Duluth Harbor. Also indicated on the map are Duluth city parks including Chester Park, Enger Park, Wheeler Field, Fairmount Park, Fond Du Lac Park, Northland Country Club, Ridgeview Golf Course, and the Lester Park Golf Course.
References on map read: Duluth is laid out on the head of Minnesota Point under the Town Site Law of 1844 for George E. Nettleton, F.B. Culver, O.W. Rice, William Nettleton and R.E. Jefferson owner and occupants of Town Site. Avenues and Streets are 60 ft. wide, Blocks are 400 ft. long by 200 ft. deep, Lots are 40 ft. front and 100 ft. deep. Upper Duluth to the left and Lower Duluth to the right of Pine Street. Pier at Portage St. is 25 ft. wide the "T" is 140 ft. front. The stone monuments on Pine Street govern the survey. Richard Relf, Surveyor. Horizontal Scale 500 ft. 1 inch, Perpendicular 250 ft. 1 inch.
This color map of the layout of Duluth, Minnesota, in 1886, was carefully compiled from the official records and actual surveys, and drawn at a scale of 800 feet to one inch. It includes streets, block numbers, docks, railroads, public parks, and neighborhood divisions. Information about lot sizes and street widths is included.
Map of Minnesota's St. Louis County showing land Department Holdings, The Duluth & Iron Range Rail Road Company, and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company. Shows railroad land holdings, roads, trails, railroads, electric lines, forest reserve, hydrography, and survey grid. Scale: 1 inch = 3 miles.