Biographies of veterans of Company B 1st Minnesota Volunteers, including detailed accounts of their lives before, during and after the Civil War. The record book also contains meeting minutes and details of Last Man's Club banquets.
St. Ansgar's Academy, Board of Trusstees (Carver County, Minnesota)
1863 - 1875
St. Ansgar's Academy was opened in 1863 at East Union, Carver County, Minnesota, where it remained until 1876. It continued a parochial school founded in 1862 at Red Wing by Rev. Eric Norelius and served primarily as a preparatory secondary school for those wishing to enter teaching or the ministry in immigrant Swedish communities and congregations. It was owned and largely controlled by the Minnesota Conference of the Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Synod, which nominated members of its board of trustees for approval by the Synod, received annual reports from its principal and its board president, provided financial backing, and had a say in its operation. During its thirteen years at East Union, St. Ansgar's Academy was also known variously as Minnesota Elementar Skola, St. Ansgarii Skola, Minnesota Preparatory School, and sometimes simply as "Swede School". In 1876, the school moved to St. Peter, where it was renamed Gustavus Adolphus College. Written mostly in Swedish, with some entries in Norwegian or a mix of the two languages, by various appointed secretaries, the minutes constitute a single bound volume covering the period in Carver County, August 1863 to May 1875, with the exception of 1865, for which no minutes were entered. It opens with the school's Constitution, which had been adopted at the Augustana Synod meeting in Chicago on June 23, 1863. The minutes include committee reports and reports regarding the Bevens Creek Mill, which operated to support the school. Edi Thorstensson, Librarian and Lutheran Church Archivist, Gustavus Adolphus College, transcribed and translated the minutes in July 2006 for the Minnesota Digital Library.
Records of children admitted to the orphanage between 1879 and 1892. Most entries include child's name, age, date of admission, reason for admission. Separate entries give information on dismissal dates and reasons.
This journal contains the formal proceedings for the First Convention of the Minnesota Association of the Deaf. The reunion attendees at the Minnesota Institute for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind voted to form an alumni association which became the Minnesota Association of the Deaf.
This journal contains the formal proceedings for the Second Convention of the Minnesota Association of the Deaf at the Minnesota Institute for Defectives (Deaf, Blind and Feeble-Minded). The American fingerspelled alphabet and fingerspelled numbers from 1 to 10 are printed on the back page.
Beginning in April 1865, the members of the St. Peter School Board kept minutes of their meetings in this ledger. The minutes provide information about the teachers, principals, and superintendents who were employed in the St. Peter school system. Records of expenses and details concerning the planning and construction of new schools can also be found. This ledger ends in June of 1899. The Nicollet County Historical Society has the next two ledgers in its collection, making records through 1944 available to researchers. Of particular interest in this ledger are the names of three men on the first page who served as governors of Minnesota. They are: Henry A. Swift (governor from July 10, 1863, to January 11, 1864), Horace Austin (governor from January 9, 1870 to January 7, 1874), and Andrew R. McGill (governor from January 5, 1887, to January 9, 1889).