A booklet on the history of the Winona Public Library in its first 50 years of service to the community of Winona, Minnesota. Photographs of William Harris Laird, Fred S. Bell, the library and its patrons are included.
A notice of a special meeting of the Winona Library Association to consider and vote upon the transfer of all property of the Association to the City of Winona, as contemplated in the ordinance creating a Free Public Library, passed by the City Council on March 8, 1886.
The minutes of a special meeting of the Winona Library Association to certify and adopt the City resolution to create a free public library in Winona. The minutes include attached local newspaper clippings related to the resolution.
A check from the Treasurer of the Winona Library Association to J.E. Prentiss for insurance in the amount of fifteen dollars, signed by E. (Ernest) A. Gerdtzen, Secretary, and O. (Ozro) B. Gould, President. The check is number 18 and dated April 28, 1874.
A leaflet describing The Light of Learning mural painting by Kenyon Cox in the Winona Free Public Library, Winona, Minnesota. The mural was donated by William Hayes in memory of his wife, Charlotte Prentiss Hayes.
Windsor, P. L. (Periodical Division, University of Illinois Library, Urbana, Illinois)
The one cent postal card was the most cost effective way to communicate by mail. This was especially true in the period of the Great Depression when the library budget was cut to the bone. This one cent postal card is a request for copies of "The Library Beacon" Vol. 6, No.2 for 1934 to date. Penciled notation indicates that requested items were sent.