Workcrew in front of the second addition (at Riverside and 24th) to St. Mary's Hospital. In succeeding years, up to 1991, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet continued to add buildings to provide professional services to patients and to attract doctors and nurses to its professional staff.
Nineteen Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet standing in front of a St. Joseph's Hospital entrance. The Sisters opened the hospital in 1853 in the log cabin Chapel of St. Paul on Bench Street. This photo is taken at the hospital's third and current site. The hospital joined the HealthEast System in 1987.
The first location (1887-1890) of St. Mary's Hospital. Previously operated by the Sisters of Mercy, the hospital was in the former Murphy mansion, 2416 South Sixth Street. A new hospital, with later additions, was built at Riverside and 24th. The Sisters of St. Joseph owned and operated the hospital until 1991 when it was sold to the Fairview Health System.