The 1893 First Methodist Episcopal church occupied the corner of Third Avenue West and Third Street in downtown Duluth until the congregation built the 1965 church building designed by architect Pietro Belluschi that everyone calls the Copper Top church at Skyline and Central Entrance. This brownstone structure closed in November 1966 and was razed in 1969.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Exterior view of crane at the Brown Hall construction site with a dump truck parked nearby. Opened in 1960, Brown Hall contains classrooms and offices. Brown Hall is named after St. Cloud State president, Joseph Brown, who served from 1916 to 1927.
College of St. Benedict; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1958-1959, 1959-1960, College of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota is an annual catalogue published for the College without including the Academy. During the period of 1926-1962, the college operated under auspices of St. Benedict�s Monastery before the College was separately incorporated in 1962. Contents include correspondence, table of contents, college calendar, general information, aims, history, accreditation and membership, location, buildings and grounds, library, information for new students, admission, application, educational plan, counseling and other student services, fees and expenses, financial information, student expenses, special fees, laboratory and course fees. Also included are scholarships and student aid, grants-in-aid, service contracts, academic information, academic regulations, registration, credits, class attendance, grading system and honor points, requirements for degrees, courses of study, divisional organization, course information, campus life and organizations, ideals, religious life, discipline, health and recreation, campus organizations, publications, leadership point system, faculty-student council, alumnae association, administration and faculty, board of advisers, administrative officers, educational policies committee, faculty and index.
This image shows a view of the St. Peter business district in 1958, looking to the north from a location at the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Myrtle Street. This postcard negative, marked 1518, has been converted to a digital positive image.
The daily chapel service at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was held in the former dining room and solarium of Passavant Hall, the past residence of the Charles Pillsbury family. In keeping with the rest of the Tudor style home, the refurbished chapel retained the original paneling, stained glass, and plank flooring. Seminary students of the period (1940-1967) remember fondly the beauty and uniqueness of these spaces. Back of photograph reads: NLTS chapel at S. Mpls site ca. 1960.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was justly proud of its music and arts program including its choral activities. The choir recorded albums and toured regularly. Pictured conducting is Robert Paul Wetzler, director of the choir and noted sacred music composer and publisher. Later, Kathryn Ulvilden Moen, a professionally trained organist and choir director, would take on this dual role with great success. Back of photograph reads: Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary Choir, Minneapolis, Robert Paul Wetzler, director, Ray Hanson, manager.
This image shows a view of the front of the First Lutheran Church in St. Peter in 1958. The church, which was on the northwest corner of the intersection of Fourth and Elm Streets, facing Minnesota Square Park, was destroyed by a fire in 1962. This postcard negative, marked 5118, has been converted to a digital positive image.
This image shows a view of an addition to the First Lutheran Church in St. Peter in 1958. The church, which was on the northwest corner of the intersection of Fourth and Elm Streets, facing Minnesota Square Park, was destroyed by a fire in 1962. This postcard negative, marked 5108, has been converted to a digital positive image.
This Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary building was named for Dr. G. H. (George Henry) Gerberding, first president of the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America and one of the four original Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary professors to leave Maywood Seminary, Chicago, in 1920. Gerberding Hall had been one of the Crosby family homes. The Crosby family was involved in the Minneapolis milling industry. Back of photograph reads: Gerberding Hall, late 50's, NLTS residence, [photo] #14.
Jensen Hall, which included the Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary library, was named for J.K. Jensen, long-time treasurer of the seminary and of the Synod of the Northwest. This mansion, the Alfred Pillsbury family home, was acquired in a second round of property purchases in the South Minneapolis area near the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary now had several buildings in the same area, thus creating a more integrated, cohesive campus. Back of photograph reads: Jensen Hall Library
This image shows a view of Johnson Hall at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter in 1958. The dormitory was destroyed in the March 1998 tornado. This postcard negative, marked 588, has been converted to a digital positive image.
Program for the 1958 Minnesota Library Association (MLA) annual conference, held September 12-14, 1958 at Madden's Lodge in Brainerd. The theme was ""Bigger libraries in a smaller world."" Events include a greetings speech by the Honorable Levi Johnson, mayor of Brainerd. Session topics include ""Progress report on Library Development in Minnesota"", ""Untapped Resources of Information about World Affairs"", ""Books - The Bond Between Us"", ""Super-market Methods in Book Acquisition?"", ""Books Across the Sea Program of the English-speaking Union"", and ""Books in a World on Fire"".
This image shows a view of Minnesota Square Park in 1958. The view includes the old pavilion. A small portion of Washington School is visible beyond the trees to the right of center. This postcard negative, marked 5138, has been converted to a digital positive image.
Color photograph of demonstration booth at the 1958 Minnesota State Fair. Mrs. Monroe and Mrs. Steele are both in colonial costumes. Weaving samples are on display and one of the women is sitting at a floor loom.
Color photograph of demonstration booth at the 1958 Minnesota State Fair. Mrs. Monroe and Mrs. Steele are both in colonial costumes. Weaving samples are on display and one of the women is sitting at a floor loom. A spinning wheel is in the foreground.
Color photograph of a display case at the 1958 Minnesota State Fair (probably in the Creative Activities Building). In the case is the award-winning handwoven dress made by Mrs. Cory. A purple and a blue ribbon are pinned to the dress.
Exterior view of Mitchell Hall, cars parked on lawn nearby.Mitchell Hall was completed in 1958 as a dormitory for women. The building was named for William B. Mitchell, who served as St. Cloud State's resident director from 1877 to 1901.
Portrait of Myrtle Laura Egan as Shakopee's city festival queen. The image shows Egan riding in a Ford convertible as part of a parade in Jordan. A sign on the driver's side door reads, in part, "Courtesy of Schmitt Ford." Attached to the side of the car above the rear driver's side wheel is a sign that reads "Miss Shakopee/Myrtle Egan." Egan was sponsored by the First National Bank of Shakopee, where she was an employee, and she served as Miss. Shakopee for both 1957 and 1958.
This image shows a view of the Nicollet County Courthouse in St. Peter in 1958. At far right is a portion of the County Jail. A portion of the business district is visible at left. This postcard negative, marked 518, has been converted to a digital positive image.
The front side of the map includes inset maps of Metropolitan St. Paul-Minneapolis and Duluth area; an index to state parks, wayside parks, memorial parks, recreational reserves, scenic reserves, and national monuments; contact information for Dept. of Highways Central and District Offices. The back of the map includes an index to cities and incorporated villages, with the population based on 1950 census; an index to counties; inset maps of large cities; a map of the surveyed portion of Minnesota 1858 A.D. with a list of historical markers along the Trunk Highway System, some memorable dates in early Minnesota history, a note titled ""From primitive roads to modern highways during the past 100 years"" by Minnesota Historical Society President Leonard Lampert and Director Russell W. Fridley; and safe driving suggestions.
Minnesota Department of Transportation, MnDOT Library
Ribbon cutting for "The Scandinavian Roots of our State" exhibit. Left to right: Elmer Albinson, ASI director of the Institute, Prince Bertil cutting the ribbon, Emerit Anson, chairman, Reuben W. Anderson, treasurer of the Institute.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary's Reed Hall was named for Harry Bertram Reed, first professor of Old Testament at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. Reed Hall served as an apartment building for married students. The seminary remained well supported by the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America during the 1950s, the years of its greatest growth. This was also the period of greatest membership increase for the United Lutheran Church in America, the ""parent church"" of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. Back of photograph reads: NLTS, Reed Hall, Residence.
This is a photograph of a residence hall of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. The seminary continued to acquire property as it grew, but by the late 1950s it was clear that another expansion would be necessary. The seminary's ""parent church,"" the United Lutheran Church in America, continued to increase in membership. Eventually Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary's expansion came on the campus of Luther Seminary in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood in St. Paul. In 1955, Luther Seminary purchased the site of the Breck School, an Episcopalian preparatory school, that stood near Luther Seminary. The invitation for Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary to move to this site came several years later, with the actual move happening in 1967. Back of photograph reads: NLTS residence #2404.
A bulletin describing the course of study at Rochester Junior College for 1957-1958. Rochester Junior College changed its name and scope of discipline several times: University Department of Sourthern University (1915), Rochester Junior College (1917), Rochester Vocational Institute (1969), Rochester Community College (1973), and Rochester Community and Technical College (1996).
Portrait of the Shakopee High School Class of 1938 at their 20th class reunion. The image shows a group of student and teachers gathered together in three rows in what appears to be the school's gymnasium. Decorations are seen on the wall behind the group. There is also a large sign that reads "Labor Conquers All 1938-58."
Kray, Lidwina; Town, Marian; St. Cloud Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association
This board includes individual portraits of students from St. Cloud Hospital School of Nursing, Class of 1931, Class of 1932 and Class of 1933. It also includes portraits of directors of nurses from 1932 through 1944. The photographs are black-and-white prints mounted on six cream colored paper boards, each with identifications hand lettered in black ink. These are mounted on a large, brown paper board. The first training school for nurses in St. Cloud, Minnesota, opened at St. Raphael's Hospital (predecessor to St. Cloud Hospital) in September 1908, one year after the state legislature mandated that all nurses working in Minnesota hospitals be licensed. As did the hospital, the education program operated under the auspices of the Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict in St. Joseph, Minnesota. From its inception until it closed in 1987, the school was conducted as a three-year diploma program that blended academic and practical training for the nursing profession. In 1964, the school began admitting male and married students. The large format photo composite boards were first created in 1958 by two graduates of the school, Lidwina Kray and Marian Town, as part of the St. Cloud Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association celebration of the school's 50th anniversary. The boards were displayed in a book-like frame that allowed viewers to page through the history of the school's students. Each year following, graduating classes added their portraits to the 'book.' There are 50 boards in all.