The 1893 First Methodist Episcopal church occupied the corner of Third Avenue West and Third Street in downtown Duluth until the congregation built the 1965 church building designed by architect Pietro Belluschi that everyone calls the Copper Top church at Skyline and Central Entrance. This brownstone structure closed in November 1966 and was razed in 1969.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Exterior view of crane at the Brown Hall construction site with a dump truck parked nearby. Opened in 1960, Brown Hall contains classrooms and offices. Brown Hall is named after St. Cloud State president, Joseph Brown, who served from 1916 to 1927.
The daily chapel service at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was held in the former dining room and solarium of Passavant Hall, the past residence of the Charles Pillsbury family. In keeping with the rest of the Tudor style home, the refurbished chapel retained the original paneling, stained glass, and plank flooring. Seminary students of the period (1940-1967) remember fondly the beauty and uniqueness of these spaces. Back of photograph reads: NLTS chapel at S. Mpls site ca. 1960.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was justly proud of its music and arts program including its choral activities. The choir recorded albums and toured regularly. Pictured conducting is Robert Paul Wetzler, director of the choir and noted sacred music composer and publisher. Later, Kathryn Ulvilden Moen, a professionally trained organist and choir director, would take on this dual role with great success. Back of photograph reads: Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary Choir, Minneapolis, Robert Paul Wetzler, director, Ray Hanson, manager.
This Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary building was named for Dr. G. H. (George Henry) Gerberding, first president of the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America and one of the four original Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary professors to leave Maywood Seminary, Chicago, in 1920. Gerberding Hall had been one of the Crosby family homes. The Crosby family was involved in the Minneapolis milling industry. Back of photograph reads: Gerberding Hall, late 50's, NLTS residence, [photo] #14.
Jensen Hall, which included the Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary library, was named for J.K. Jensen, long-time treasurer of the seminary and of the Synod of the Northwest. This mansion, the Alfred Pillsbury family home, was acquired in a second round of property purchases in the South Minneapolis area near the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary now had several buildings in the same area, thus creating a more integrated, cohesive campus. Back of photograph reads: Jensen Hall Library
Exterior view of Mitchell Hall, cars parked on lawn nearby.Mitchell Hall was completed in 1958 as a dormitory for women. The building was named for William B. Mitchell, who served as St. Cloud State's resident director from 1877 to 1901.
Portrait of Myrtle Laura Egan as Shakopee's city festival queen. The image shows Egan riding in a Ford convertible as part of a parade in Jordan. A sign on the driver's side door reads, in part, "Courtesy of Schmitt Ford." Attached to the side of the car above the rear driver's side wheel is a sign that reads "Miss Shakopee/Myrtle Egan." Egan was sponsored by the First National Bank of Shakopee, where she was an employee, and she served as Miss. Shakopee for both 1957 and 1958.
Ribbon cutting for "The Scandinavian Roots of our State" exhibit. Left to right: Elmer Albinson, ASI director of the Institute, Prince Bertil cutting the ribbon, Emerit Anson, chairman, Reuben W. Anderson, treasurer of the Institute.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary's Reed Hall was named for Harry Bertram Reed, first professor of Old Testament at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. Reed Hall served as an apartment building for married students. The seminary remained well supported by the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America during the 1950s, the years of its greatest growth. This was also the period of greatest membership increase for the United Lutheran Church in America, the ""parent church"" of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. Back of photograph reads: NLTS, Reed Hall, Residence.
This is a photograph of a residence hall of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. The seminary continued to acquire property as it grew, but by the late 1950s it was clear that another expansion would be necessary. The seminary's ""parent church,"" the United Lutheran Church in America, continued to increase in membership. Eventually Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary's expansion came on the campus of Luther Seminary in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood in St. Paul. In 1955, Luther Seminary purchased the site of the Breck School, an Episcopalian preparatory school, that stood near Luther Seminary. The invitation for Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary to move to this site came several years later, with the actual move happening in 1967. Back of photograph reads: NLTS residence #2404.
Portrait of the Shakopee High School Class of 1938 at their 20th class reunion. The image shows a group of student and teachers gathered together in three rows in what appears to be the school's gymnasium. Decorations are seen on the wall behind the group. There is also a large sign that reads "Labor Conquers All 1938-58."
This Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary building was a mansion located at Stevens Avenue and East 24th Street in Minneapolis and was named for the first president of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary, Joseph Stump. Stump Hall functioned as a single student dormitory and had its own on-site boarding club, in which students shared responsibilities for meals. Back of photograph reads: Stump Hall, Stevens Ave. @ 24th Str., Mpls.
A large group of young people sitting at a series of long tables in the Temple of Aaron in Saint Paul. United Synagogue Youth (USY) was founded in 1951 to promote living Jewishly to Jewish-American teens. Part educational and part service oriented, the organization encourages youth involvement in Jewish community service work; travel and service in Israel; and reflection on Jewish identity. USY is associated with Conservative Judaism. The photo was taken at Temple of Aaron in St. Paul
University of Minnesota Libraries, Nathan and Theresa Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives
Portrait of Vern Lang at work at the First National Bank in Shakopee. Lang worked as a cashier and he is sitting behind one of the bank's front cashier stands. The door to a vault is opened behind him and rows of safety deposit boxes are seen inside the vault.