Marshall-Wells Hardware merchandise is loaded and ready for delivery to various railroad lines for transport. The first horse-drawn sleigh will take the orders packed into it to the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha depot. The truck behind the sleigh is destined for the Soo Line depot. The next in line will be shipped on the Great Northern railway and the one after that will go to the Northern Pacific. The Union Depot served seven railroads including the GN and NP. It still stands as the St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center. All of the other depots are gone. The Marshall-Wells Company started in 1886 as Chapin and Wells Company a wholesale hardware business. Albert Morley Marshall, son of Seth, bought controlling interest in 1893 and changed the name to Marshall-Wells Company. The company grew to include 14 wholesale offices throughout the northwestern U.S. and Canada. In 1955 Ambrook Industries Inc. of New York bought controlling interest. Kelley-How-Thomson and Marshall-Wells merged January 1, 1958. Kelley-How-Thomson had been a subsidiary of Marshall-Wells since 1955 when Ambrook bought Marshall-Wells and reorganized. The Coast-to-Coast Stores bought the Duluth division of Marshall-Wells-Kelley-How-Thomson Company in 1958, which ended the Duluth firm's operation. Also in the image are the People's Hotel 246 Lake Avenue South, and the Lyceum Theater billboard.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
St. Benedict College and Academy; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1919-1920 Annual Year-Book was published for St. Benedict's College and Academy, St. Joseph, Minnesota. Contents include calendar, fees, description of railway and telephone connections, buildings and grounds, dormitories, library, laboratories, museum, religious training, league of the sacred heart, social training, reports and standings, departments and courses, list of students, regulations for wardrobe and terms for the scholastic year.
The photograph caption reads, "Asphult, 1889-1919." The church building was built in 1890 and vacated in 1965. In 1975 the building was moved to the Pennington County Historical Village in Thief River Falls, Minnesota.
Bell Lumber and Pole Company was formed in 1919 to treat telephone poles and lumber. The pole yards were very important to the employment and economy of New Brighton. All of the heavy work was done by horses and pole yard workers in the early years.
Bethel Theological Seminary Faculty and Students portrait collage from 1919. Pictured from left to right are: (top row) C. Geo. Ericson; O.M. Lind; Dr. C.G. Lagergren, Dean; Victor Larson; A.B. Nelson; (middle row) L. Johnson; Prof. V. Sandberg, Musical Director; Dr. G. Arvid Hagstrom, President; Prof. D. Gustafson; G.A. Gustavson; (bottom row) D.A. Anderson; D.N. Moberg; A.A. Anderson; O.L. Magnuson; F.L. Moberg.
The History Center, Archives of Bethel University and Converge Worldwide - BGC
Members of the football team for the College of St. Thomas for 1919. Fr. John Dunphy (Director of Athletic) stands at the far right of the back row. The Classroom Building, old Administration Building, old Science Building and the Shooting Gallery can be seen in the background.
Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict (Saint Joseph, Minnesota)
The religious life of the Benedictine community of sisters in Saint Joseph, Minnesota at the turn of the 20th century. Rights and responsibilities of prioress and charter members, other officials, as well as details of adding new members, the novitiate, and vows.
College of Saint Benedict & Saint John's University
A photograph showing members of the Miller, Gordon, Orenstein, Naftalin and Davis families gathered around the dining table. The Davis family lived in Minneapolis. Passover Seders begin with a retelling of the story of the deliverance of the Jewish people from Egyptian bondage. It includes foods symbolic of the years of slavery and flight from Egypt. Seders are family and community observances, held primarily in the home.
University of Minnesota Libraries, Nathan and Theresa Berman Upper Midwest Jewish Archives