Stereoview of workers constructing a loading dock and railroad spur line to Seymour Sabin Warehouse and agricultural equipment assembly plant at Steamboat Levee on Red River in Moorhead. The Red River and the Steamboat "J. L. Grandin" is visible in the distance at extreme left. Moorhead's Point neighborhood visible in distance at right; view is to the north from the Moorhead side of the Red River.
Fourth volume of Randolph M. Probstfield's personal journals, which he wrote in a ledger book. Probstfield began writing this volume in 1873, after he had settled at his farm in Oakport Township on the Red River. Probstfield mixed his accounting records with information on daily events. These accounts discuss weather, agriculture, visitors, household expenses and many other details of family life.
Early ventures in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1880-1890). Students and faculty of the first academy class in the Haarman Building (1880-1881) are identified as follows. Faculty upper row: Sisters 1. Flavia Pokowsky, 2. Magdelen Enste, 3. Elizabeth Will (who later became Sister Julia), 4. Bede Linnemann. Faculty - 2nd row: Sister Anotolia Langsford. Faculty - 3rd row: Sister Irminia Kretzer. Students - 2nd row: Anna Burrell, Cecilia Beck, S. Farrell, Katie Rovischer, Emma Otto, Aggie Zingerly, Rose Weiner, Carrie Capser, Iona Owens, Lilly Miller, Katherine Riesgraf, Anna Kapsner. Students - lower 3 rows: Antonette Jennings, Virgina Gerard (later Sister Anastasia), Lena Schlick, Anna Waschenberger, Mary Phillip, Ella Egan, Jennie Kennedy, Katie Loso, Aloysia Zingerly, Adela Jennings, Clara Pottgieser, Lorrina Maurin, Tillie Maurin, Lizzie Beck, Josie Kapser. Because St. Agnes Academy was not flourishing in St. Cloud, Mother Aloysia Bath and the community decided in 1879 to build a new boarding academy at St. Joseph. When the basement walls were nearly completed, the cold weather halted construction; lack of funds prevented more building for another 2 years. The next prioress, Mother Scholastica Kerst, closed the St. Agnes Academy in St. Cloud and rented the Haarman Building across from the church and convent in St. Joseph to open a select boarding academy, St. Joseph's Academy. The Haarman Building was rented for only one year. Because the school was so successful, the earlier plans for a new academy building were immediately resumed and Cecilia Hall was rapidly completed for use in 1882. When the building was blessed, St. Joseph's Academy was renamed St. Benedict's Academy (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives ; McDonald, pages 70-71, 99-100).
This photograph shows the construction of the Nicollet County Courthouse in St. Peter, which is located on the east side of the 500 block of South Minnesota Avenue. Construction began in 1880 and was completed in July of 1881.