The daily chapel service at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was held in the former dining room and solarium of Passavant Hall, the past residence of the Charles Pillsbury family. In keeping with the rest of the Tudor style home, the refurbished chapel retained the original paneling, stained glass, and plank flooring. Seminary students of the period (1940-1967) remember fondly the beauty and uniqueness of these spaces. Back of photograph reads: NLTS chapel at S. Mpls site ca. 1960.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was justly proud of its music and arts program including its choral activities. The choir recorded albums and toured regularly. Pictured conducting is Robert Paul Wetzler, director of the choir and noted sacred music composer and publisher. Later, Kathryn Ulvilden Moen, a professionally trained organist and choir director, would take on this dual role with great success. Back of photograph reads: Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary Choir, Minneapolis, Robert Paul Wetzler, director, Ray Hanson, manager.
This Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary building was named for Dr. G. H. (George Henry) Gerberding, first president of the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America and one of the four original Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary professors to leave Maywood Seminary, Chicago, in 1920. Gerberding Hall had been one of the Crosby family homes. The Crosby family was involved in the Minneapolis milling industry. Back of photograph reads: Gerberding Hall, late 50's, NLTS residence, [photo] #14.
Jensen Hall, which included the Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary library, was named for J.K. Jensen, long-time treasurer of the seminary and of the Synod of the Northwest. This mansion, the Alfred Pillsbury family home, was acquired in a second round of property purchases in the South Minneapolis area near the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary now had several buildings in the same area, thus creating a more integrated, cohesive campus. Back of photograph reads: Jensen Hall Library
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary's Reed Hall was named for Harry Bertram Reed, first professor of Old Testament at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. Reed Hall served as an apartment building for married students. The seminary remained well supported by the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America during the 1950s, the years of its greatest growth. This was also the period of greatest membership increase for the United Lutheran Church in America, the ""parent church"" of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. Back of photograph reads: NLTS, Reed Hall, Residence.
This is a photograph of a residence hall of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary. The seminary continued to acquire property as it grew, but by the late 1950s it was clear that another expansion would be necessary. The seminary's ""parent church,"" the United Lutheran Church in America, continued to increase in membership. Eventually Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary's expansion came on the campus of Luther Seminary in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood in St. Paul. In 1955, Luther Seminary purchased the site of the Breck School, an Episcopalian preparatory school, that stood near Luther Seminary. The invitation for Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary to move to this site came several years later, with the actual move happening in 1967. Back of photograph reads: NLTS residence #2404.
This Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary building was a mansion located at Stevens Avenue and East 24th Street in Minneapolis and was named for the first president of Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary, Joseph Stump. Stump Hall functioned as a single student dormitory and had its own on-site boarding club, in which students shared responsibilities for meals. Back of photograph reads: Stump Hall, Stevens Ave. @ 24th Str., Mpls.