Ronald Youngblood lecture recorded during Founders Week, February 1-5, 1971. Note: The written transcript which accompanies this audio recording varies from the audio file. This written transcript is the basic text of the sermon; but slight variances in speech patterns and language will be found in the audio recording.
Exterior of the Lake Reno Reformed Presbyterian Church. This wood frame building replaced the first church which was built in 1882. It was moved from its first site on the Hogan farm to the Cummins farm in 1938. It burned in October 1943.
St Cornelia's Episopal-Bishop Whipple Mission Morton, MN--Rev Henry Whipple, priest Crica 1903,Standiing the the door in the center is Bishop H. B. Whipple, The woman in the black dress is Susan Salisbury. Standing below Whipple and slighly to the left isRev Henry Whipple, St Clair priest. The little girl in white hat covering part of her face & just behind little boy in white, 1st row on the right I Mary Hinman LaCroix daughter of Rev Samuel Dutton Hinman who is buried at the Lower Sioux Agency and who was in charge when church was being built
Mrs. Marilyn Murray White was born in Columbia, Missouri in 1926, and moved to Moorhead that same year. Mrs. White describes her more than 40 years of involvement with and membership in the First Congregation Church of Moorhead, where she served in many capacities including four years as Church Education Director.
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). Perham marks the beginning of the Lake Park region of Minnesota. In 1873 the town was platted by the Lake Superior and Puget Sound Land Company and named after Josiah Perham, the first president of the Northern Pacific Railroad. The early businesses were the Glove Milling company and the Schmidt Wagon Works. Within ten years the Catholic community developed a school system, at one time having the three following Catholic schools in the area: 1.) St. Henry's - the Benedictine sisters opened a school in a section of the convent but when the enrollment increased, the former public school and a harness shop were utilized; enrollment there reached a peak of 269 pupils with 5-6 sisters teaching in subsequent years. 2.) St. Joseph - the Benedictine sisters began teaching in a district school (Ottertail County), three miles from Perham. (In 1885 St. Benedict's Convent built a large dwelling there intended to serve as a sisters' health resort; instead, it became the residence for the 5 sisters at St. Joseph's School. The dwelling was later sold for $1,100.) 3.) St. Stanislaus - in 1902, the Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph's also staffed this small school but three years later it closed because only 38 students enrolled. However, the pastor reopened it seven years later and the Polish-speaking Felician sisters staffed it for another twenty years (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Walter W. Wessel lecture recorded during Founders Week, February 1-5, 1971. Note: The written transcript which accompanies this audio recording varies from the audio file. This written transcript is the basic text of the sermon; but slight variances in speech patterns and language will be found in the audio recording.
Thori, Alban & Fisher, Architects (St. Paul, Minnesota)
An architectural rendering of the First Methodist Episcopal Church in St. Paul, located at Portland Ave. and Victoria St. The cornerstone was laid October 15, 1907. Built in the Classic Greek Style the dedication booklet says, "Facing Holly Avenue in a situation ideal to show its classic and simple architecture, the massive columns of the portico give character and attract attention." The booklet goes on to say, "The main auditorium has eight hundred and fifty sittings." It housed an organ built by the Austin Organ Company of Hartford, Connecticut costing $7600.
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
Schools in north-central Minnesota (1871-1909). Some of the sisters teaching in Duluth before the separation of the Duluth sisters from St. Benedict's in St. Joseph are identified as follows. Top Row - left to right: S. Catherine Siefner, Clementine Jastrzenska, Florentine Cannon, Augustine Terhaar, Margaret Dellwo (Delleveaux); (Bottom Row - left to right): S. Bertha Cherrier, Regina Otto, Cornelia Berg, Anastasia Gerard, Magdalen Walker. Duluth was first settled because of a short-lived rumor in 1854 that copper and ore were found on the North Shore. It was not until 1869, when Duluth was connected to St. Paul by railroad, that the population began to grow. Though Duluth experienced a five-year set back in 1873 when Jay Cooke's (financier of the railroad-to-the-Pacific) financial empire collapsed, it became the ore capital and the grain and lumber harbor of the Northwest. Parish communities and schools began to flourish and the Benedictine sisters from St. Joseph, MN, responded to invitations to teach there: in 1881, five sisters from St. Joseph opened Sacred Heart School for over 200 children in an old carriage shop, but the pastor closed that school; in 1883, seven sisters returned to Sacred Heart Parish and taught in a public school building until a new school (St. Thomas Aquinas) was built; in 1885 sisters began teaching in St. Stanislaus School in the Polish parish, St. Mary Star of the Sea; in 1887 they opened St. Clement School and also the Store-Front School on Garfield Avenue for the French parish; in 1891 the sisters opened St. Anthony's School. All of these mission schools, as well as St. Mary's Hospital, were transferred to St. Benedict's new daughterhouse which was established in Duluth in 1892. Prompted by her deposition as prioress in St. Joseph, it was the energy and the independent pioneer spirit of Mother Scholastica Kerst that effected the separation of the sisters in Duluth from the motherhouse in St. Joseph. While only 20 of the 43 sisters in Duluth opted to join the newly-formed community, Villa Sancta Scholastica, the separation strained the resources of both communities. However, both rallied and flourished in Minnesota. The Benedictines in Duluth today conduct the College of St. Scholastica and a Benedictine Health Care System (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; Olsenius, pages 23-24).