This negative provides a front view of Plymouth Congregational Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota. The church's first building, dedicated in December 1858, stood at Fourth Street and Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis, Minnesota. No photographs remain. In June 1860, Plymouth�s second minister, Henry Martyn Nichols, preached a fiery temperance sermon that inspired women to launch an effort to close the saloons. Within days of the sermon, a fire destroyed the building. People widely believed the fire was the work of arsonists representing the saloon interests. The Congregation�s second church, built on the same spot, was dedicated in September 1863. Its interior had circular seating for 350 people and a raised pulpit. The congregation worshipped in this church until 1875 when growth in membership required a larger building.
Bird's-eye view taken from Church Hill of Lanesboro power dam built over the Root River in 1868. It was constructed on a foundation of solid stone and anchored at each side by rock bluffs. Houses and various village buildings are seen on north side of river. Photo taken by unknown photographer and later copied by Bue.
Portrait of Hiram Scriver, the first mayor of Northfield in 1876. He built the first stone structure in Northfield, the Scriver Building, which today houses the Northfield Historical Society. Today the Scriver Building is the oldest stone building in Northfield. In addition, Scriver ran the first dry goods store in Northfield.
The Phoenix Hotel in Lanesboro was built at the cost of $50,000 in 1870. The hotel was four stories with saloon, baggage room, and railroad ticket office. The stone used for its construction was quarried from local bluffs. Its parlors and suites were expensively furnished. It was widely advertised as both a high class hotel for the traveling public, as well as a sanitarium. The hotel housed the Bank of Lanesboro, the businesses of Hanson & Davis, and Knudson & Hobart. Its landlords were Messrs. Chase and White. The building was destroyed by fire on May 5, 1885.
View is to the north from the Northern Pacific Railway bridge. The U.S. Government dredge "Unser Fritz" is moored in the middle of the Red River. Mud scows float just beyond. In the distance the Alsop Line's steamboat "Pluck" and two barges are tied up to the Fargo, Dakota Territory river bank just below the Grandin Line's grain elevator A. In the far distance is Fargo's Union Elevator. In the foreground at left can be seen a temporary wagon bridge; in the distance at right is Moorhead's Point neighborhood.
The view is to the south from the Moorhead side of the Red River looking toward the Northern Pacific Railway bridge; The steamboat Pluck is tied up on the Fargo, Dakota Territory side of the Red River; two barges heavily loaded with agricultural equipment and shingles are tied alongside, one is named Winnipeg; a flatboat partially loaded with lumber is along the Moorhead bank in the foreground. In the distance on the Fargo bank workmen load lumber from railroad cars onto flatboats. Beyond, a temporary wagon bridge spans the river beneath the Northern Pacific railroad bridge. Beyond the railroad bridge is the Moorhead Manufacturing Company Flour Mill, at extreme right is partially visible the Alsop Line's Warehouse.
A photographic glass plate of the L.E. Dennewith General Merchandise Store Front in Grass Lake Minnesota with six unidentified people in the front, two horse buggies off to the left hand side and six people directly in front of the store.
Stereoview of band and two men carrying large flags lead a parade celebrating Sytende Mai or Norwegian Constitution Day on May 17, 1880. The view is northwest on 4th Street from the Main Avenue. Behind the flags and band are members of Moorhead's Advance Lodge of the IOOF (International Order of Odd Fellows) wearing vests adorned with six stars. Also present are members of the Fargo, Dakota Territory fire department.
View is to the northwest from the top of Bruns' and Finkle's Elevator A at Front (Center Ave) and 6th Street North. Visible are businesses along the north side of Front Street between 4th and 5th Streets North incluiding Moorhead City Hall and Fire Station. In the foreground at left is Moorhead's Point neighborhood in distance at right and Fargo, Dakota Territory in the distance at left. This is the same scene as the one photographed Ole E. Flaten in 1879. See mhs06865.
Attendees are gathered on the steps of Mott Hall. The Fifth National Conference of Principals and Superintendents of Institutions for Deaf-Mutes took place during July 9-13, 1884 at the Minnesota Institute for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind in Faribault. At this conference, the advisability of employing deaf teachers to teach deaf students was discussed, and this issue became part of the oralism vs. manualism debate in deaf education. The man sitting in the front row on the left end is Dr. James L. Smith. Sitting to the right of Dr. Smith is Olof Hanson. The bearded man in a buttoned jacket standing in the front row, to the right of a woman in a white dress, is Dr. Philip G. Gillett, Superintendent of the Illinois School for the Deaf. The bearded man to the right of Dr. Gillett is Judge Rodney A. Mott. The man with a mustache standing in the front row on the right end is George Wing. The man with a hand thrust inside his jacket in the second row, fourth from the left, is Edward Miner Gallaudet, President of the Columbia Institution for the Deaf and Dumb (later renamed Gallaudet College). The man with a dark beard standing to the right of center, behind a woman in a striped dress, is Alexander Graham Bell.
Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf Alumni Association Museum
Moorhead Foundry, Car & Agricultural Works was built on Moorhead's east side in 1882 to manufacture railroad cars and parts, threshing machines and other iron products. It was never a success and investors sold it to a St. Cloud wagon maker. It became Anderson and Sons, builders of harrows, farm wagons and bobsleds. It closed in 1892.
View is to the northwest from Front Street (Center Avenue) and 9th Street. The Grand Pacific Hotel stands across the intersection. At extreme right is visible the platform for the Great Northern Railway, the Hotel also served as the GNR passenger depot.
View is to the southeast from the Moorhead side of the Red River from just north of present Center Avenue Bridge. Low water level in river, there is a mud bar visible in the middle of the channel in the foreground. On the extreme left the Alsop Line's grain elevator is just visible, a barge is tied up next to it. Two other barges and the Alsop Line's steamboat "Pluck" are tied up to the Moorhead bank in the distance. Also visible is the Northern Pacific Railway bridge, the Moorhead Manufacturing Company Flour Mill and the Main Avenue bridge at extreme right.
A bird's-eye view of the village of Peterson, Minnesota reproduced by Mathias Bue from an earlier photo taken in 1887 by T. L. Bersagel. Village buildings and houses are visible in background, with a farmstead and dirt road crossing the river at foreground.