Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909). The carriage used by the sisters around 1900 was very likely the vehicle that met students and candidates at the St. Joseph train depot. It had first belonged to the administrator of the St. Cloud Diocese and is still preserved in St. Benedict's Monastery Museum (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Exterior view of the first frame house built north of Melrose, Minnesota. The home had a log kitchen, two upstairs bedrooms, one downstairs bedroom, and a living room. People pose outside the home with horse-drawn carriages.
Reverend Lundgren was a pastor in the Minnesota Conference, Augustana Synod, who was called to serve Fridhem, Red River, and Saron Lutheran church buildings in the Red River Valley district until 1923, when he retired. During his 31 years of service, he traveled 21,000 miles by horse and carriage, 6,070 miles by train, and 41,000 miles by automobile.
Large sleds and sleighs were constructed in Duluth. One company was the McMartin's Carriage Works. Groups and organizations hired sleighs for outings like this unidentified group stopped in front of the St. Louis County Courthouse at Fifth Avenue West and First Street. The man next to the driver is holding a trumpet.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections