Campus of the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary, later called the College of St. Thomas. Lake Mennith is in the foreground; the Gleason House is on the left with the St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary building on the right. Title supplied by cataloger.
The student body and faculty of Sacred Heart Academy in 1893. When the Benedictine Sisters came to Duluth to establish and independent foundation in 1892, they moved into two rented townhouses in the newly-completed Munger Terrace. They immediately established a school for girls, Sacred Heart Academy, which occupied one of the townhouses. The school enrolled students from elementary through secondary grades. The 1893 students are shown here. In the third row from bottom is Mother Scholastica Kerst, in the fourth row Sister Pauline Dunphy and Sister Florentine Cannon, and in the fifth row Sister Leonissa Sauber.
St. Thomas Literary and Debating Society in front of the old Administration Building. Seated in the front are the officers of the society: William O'Malley, Vice President; Reverend Terence Moore, President; Reverend William Lunner; James Doyle, Secretary.
The faculty and students of the College of St. Thomas in front of the old Administration Building. Fr. John Dolphin, president of the College of St. Thomas, is seated in the middle of the front row. Title supplied by cataloger.
A view of the campus grounds of the College of St. Thomas. The buildings appearing in the background are, from left to right, the old Science Building, the old Administration Building, and the first Chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas. Title supplied by cataloger.
Members of the Philomathic Literary and Debating Society at the College of St. Thomas. Front Row: John Keenan, Peter Gadient, "Duke" Ryan, William McCarron, John Neary, unknown, unknown. Second Row: James Byrnes, James Neary, James Nolan, Pat Lydon, William McHale, Edward Casey, Martin Cullen, Thomas Welch, Michael Healy. Third Row: Joseph Makowski, Homer Hogan, Frank Matz, James Jiracek, Mathias O'Laughlin, Frank Kelly, Mike McQuaid(?). Fourth Row: Charles Shields, unknown, Paul Abel, Peter Tibesar, Stanley Dobrenski, James O'Phelan, William Grace, Patrick Franklin. Back Row: James O'Reilley, Tom Canty, Ed Sprenger, Mike McRath, Philip Brady, William Coleman, William Luby, William Haas, Joseph Cleary, Maurice Ryan, Reverend Terence Moore.