Board of Directors, Winona Free Public Library, Winona, Minnesota
The original check transferring the remaining funds from the Winona Library Association to the newly formed Winona Free Public Library, Winona, Minnesota. The check is signed by Fred S. Bell, president, and Edward Lees, secretary, of the Board of Directors of the library.
Minutes Ledger is a written document of the first historical organization of Kandiyohi County. It contains the articles of incorporation and minutes and financial reports of the organization that later becomes the Kandiyohi County Historical Society.
A letter from Winona, Minnesota city treasurer, A. W. Laird, to Edward Lees, secretary of the Board of Directors of the Winona Free public Library, noting the interest received on the library fund during the past fiscal year.
Putnam, Herbert; Boston Public Library, Boston, Massachusetts
A letter from Herbert Putnam, librarian, Boston Public Library, to Fred S. Bell, president of the Board of Directors of the Winona Free Public Library, Winona, Minnesota. The letter acknowledges Boston Public Library's receipt of a blue print of the Winona Free Public Library's floor plan and two photographs of the building's exterior as a gift to the library.
A letter from Geo. B. Meleney of the Library Bureau to Edward Lees, secretary of the Board of Directors of the Winona Free Public Library, regarding payment in full for book stack shelving and an additional order.
Hardcover book containing township and village plats; History of Cottonwood County; Real Estate Dealers; Illustrations of Buildings; Map of United States; Map of Minnesota; Map of Cottonwood County; and Reference Directory.
Photo montage of Benjamin and Bereth Wollan and their children. The Wollan family were early merchants in Pope County starting the White Bear Center store, Wollan Bros. Store and the Fremad Association. The Fremad Association grew to a major commercial enterprise including mercantile department store, lumber yard and bank.
Hans Johnshoy (1847-1937) arrived in Pope County from Norway via Wisconsin in 1870, settling in Blue Mounds Township. Hans Johnshoy wrote recollections of his pioneer life and the building up of Blue Mounds Township and Barsness and Immanuel Churches. Standing; Clara, Herman, Casper. Seated: Hans, Selma, Mari, Walter, Kari Myrum Johnshoy (Hans' mother.)
Studio portrait of Tory Thorson (1846-1899). Thorson served in the Civil War in the 2nd Wisconsin Calvary. He was also the first Minnesota State Legislator from Pope County, served as Pope County Clerk of Court, Postmaster and Judge of Probate.
The original hand-written letter from William Harris Laird to the Board of Directors of the Winona Free Public Library to build a new library. Laird estimates the new building will cost $40,000, which he will provide. Actual costs exceeded that by approximately $10,000 and Laird covered the additional expense. The resolution by the Board of Directors accepting Laird's gift is also included, along with a transcribed version of the original proposition.
A group of six boys are posed with newspaper carrier bags and newspapers (Rochester Daily Post); left to right: Clarence Sisson, Harry Gilman, Irwin Churchill, Edward Britzius, Arthur Bogart, Eddie Enquest (Enquist)