Expansion of Monastery (1880-1909). Mother Cecilia (Mary) Kapsner born in Prussia in 1859, came to America at age 15 with her family who settled in Pierz. Two years later, Mary entered St. Benedict's Convent and professed vows in 1878. In 1901 she was elected to serve as prioress, a position she held for three consecutive terms. Mother Cecilia was the first prioress whose background was similar to the majority of the members of St. Benedict's Convent as well as the people in the St. Joseph area. With keen perception and ready judgment she led the community through considerable building expansion. Especially noteworthy is the construction of the Sacred Heart Chapel and the Teresa Hall addition to the college, both having been in the planning stages as early as 1909 (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
The Union Presbyterian Church faces South Third Street on the northwestern corner of the intersection with West Locust Street in St. Peter, Minnesota. The building on the right was once the home of the ministers who served the church.
This is a photograph of Dr. Asa W. Daniels from St. Peter. Daniels served as a surgeon at Fort Ridgely in Nicollet County and as a medical officer at the Lower Sioux Agency before he moved to St. Peter to practice medicine. He tended the wounded in 1862 during the attack on New Ulm by the Dakota.