Depicted in this photo is Abraham Mallinen and his family, in of their farmstead, along with their horses. He was the first licensed minister of the Town of Thomson and served as pastor of the Apostolic Lutheran Church of Esko when it was first organized. He settled in Thomson Township with his family in 1883 on his farm, which was located west of the present day Thomson Road and north of the Palkie Road.
Publication detailing the purpose of the school, academic calendar, expenses associated with the school, admission requirements, classes offered, graduation requirements, and the model school. In addition, the catalog lists the faculty and students by class for the year. Other information includes campus buildings, equipment, library, student groups, and the alumni association, The State Normal School, founded in 1869, changed names several times: St. Cloud State Teachers College (1921), St. Cloud State College (1957), and St. Cloud State University (1975).
1898 annual report of the Board of Public Works of the City of St. Paul. This report tells the story of the development and use of the roads, sidewalks, sewers, gas lines and electricity. This information is gathered from primary resources of the period and goes into much detail. This reliable information is presented in reports, fold out statistical data sheets, maps, black and white photographs and sketches.
Studio portrait of the 1899 Roseau County Officers taken at the Holm studio in downtown Roseau. Names are listed from back row to front row: R. Medicraft, G. H. Mattson, S. G. Bertilrud, Atlantus Austin, Dr. F. L. Norin, J. C. Strom. Second row: Ole E. Oie, Martin Nelson, J. C. Spencer, Mrs. J. C. Spencer, A. G. Lokken, Iver Torfin, Fred Hanson, Mike Johnson, and Louis Enstrom.
St. Benedict's Academy; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1899-1900 Eighteenth Annual Catalogue was published for the academy of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota. Contents include description of institution, course of studies, list of textbooks, fees, regulations for wardrobe, religious societies, list of students, programs and donors. Saint Benedict's Boarding School For Little Boys, known for a time as Bethlehem Boys Academy, operated concurrently with the Academy during the period from 1896-1915.
The eighth annual report of the Board of Park Commissioners consists of narrative reports from the board president, superintendent, and secretary, describing improvements to and maintenance of parks in 1898, new rules adopted by the board, detailed monthly financial statements, and lists of plants and trees planted. This report includes a list of board membership from 1887 to 1898, and photographs of Como Park, Indian Mounds Park, Rice Park, and Lake Phalen.
View of the Engesser Brewery's horse-drawn parade float for the Fourth of July celebration in St. Peter in 1899. Several men, Ben Engesser among them, are shown on the float, drinking beer. Bottles of beer line the edges of the float.
Back Row from Left to Right: Roy Mick; Lydon Brandenburg; Elton Pherum; Henry Asseln; Joe Shellman; Elton Ward. Middle Row: Frank Frankoviz; George Barnard; Roy Curtiss; Jim Colehour; Ed McFadden; Arthur Johnson. Front Row: Frank Adams; Horace Rawson; Walter Frankberg.
St. Benedict's Academy (1883-1909). The library became a vital part of the academy. It was one of the most inviting places on the campus -- one that encouraged the Benedictine tradition of love for learning. In the next addition to the academy/college (Teresa Hall in 1914), an entire floor was devoted to the library. Eventually, as the college expanded to the western portion of the campus, a separate building was constructed as the campus library (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives).
Annual college catalog listing courses of study, alumni, roll of students, calendar, admission requirements, general information, photographs, descriptions of departments, Woman's Auxiliary, summary of students, and lists of faculty and trustees. Includes the Collegiate Department, The Classical Academy, and the Auxiliary Departments of Music, Elocution, and Drawing.
A parade on Minnesota Avenue in St. Peter on the Fourth of July in 1899. The City Bakery is on the south side of Park Row, and the Nicollet Hotel is on the north side. A float is shown going north on the avenue.
Dinner for delegates of the General Conference of the Evangelical Association in 1899 held at the Pine Street church in St. Paul. Bishops Horn, Breyfogel and Bowman are identified in the photograph. "St. Paul Pine Street church extended the invitation for the General Conference of the Evangelical Association to hold its annual meeting in St. Paul. A vacant store building was rented and fitted up for a dining hall and kitchen on the first floor. The second floor was made into sleeping apartments" (Utzinger's History of the Minnesota Conference of the Evangelical Association 1856 to 1922, p. 181). This is the only time the General Conference met in Minnesota. To finance the event offerings were taken at all of the Minnesota Conference congregations and $403.29 was raised.
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
Front, left to right: August Christian Dahl, Hattie L. Hoffman, Hiram J. Llloyd, Jennie C. Ekle. Middle: Anna E. Morris, Paul Arthur Callaghan, Stella Lumley, Hans M. Olson. Back: Effie Johnson, Edmund Franklin, Ella F. Hodson. See Mankatonian 3/1899.
University Archives and Southern Minnesota Historical Center, Memorial Library, Minnesota State University, Mankato
Catholic prayers, instructions, and hymns in the Dakota language, with music. Includes 26 hymns, most of which include the melody notated in treble clef. Illustrated with engravings. University of St. Thomas, Archibishop Ireland Memorial Library call number: PM1024 .H75 1899
University of St. Thomas - Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library
This photograph shows the Klein and Company's Fourth of July Parade float in front of Gorman Park in St. Peter in 1899. Four well known St. Peter men are shown on the horse-drawn float. Their names are on the front of the photograph.