Annual Report for the YWCA for the year 1896 including: officers, board of managers, secretaries, committees, historical sketch, President's Message, Report of General Secretary, Treasurer's Report, Reports of Committees, including Membership, Rooms, Reading Room and Library, Religious, Entertainment, Educational, Physical Culture, Noon Rest, Employment, Finance, South Branch, Cedar Branch, Traveler's Aid, and Extension Committees. Also includes contact information for state, international and world's associations.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
Sidney Luce, Duluth's second mayor, was born in Kingsville, Ohio, on September 19, 1819. He moved to the Duluth area in the mid-1850s and served as registrar for the U.S. Land Office. He built Duluth's first commercial structure, a warehouse at the foot of Third Avenue East at the lake shore, and helped found the city's first brewery. He was elected mayor in 1872, but resigned while still in office to return to Ohio. His portrait was painted by J.W. Trussler in 1896.
St. Benedict's Academy; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1895-1896 Fourteenth Annual Catalogue was published for the Academy of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota. Contents include description of institution, rules of discipline, course studies, fees, general and wardrobe regulations, list of students, daily schedule, list of textbooks and closing program.
Publication detailing the purpose of the school, academic calendar, expenses associated with the school, admission requirements, classes offered, graduation requirements, and the model school. In addition, the catalog lists the faculty and students by class for the year. Other information includes campus buildings, equipment, library, student groups, and the alumni association, The State Normal School, founded in 1869, changed names several times: St. Cloud State Teachers College (1921), St. Cloud State College (1957), and St. Cloud State University (1975).
Dakota County atlas, 55 pages of colored maps, 48 cm. Scale of tounship maps 1:31,680. 2 inches to the mile. Patron's Directory is located on pages 53-55. Drawn from actual survey and county records by Bertine F. Pinkney.
Black and white albumen print of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Belle Plaine. Seen are the front of the church with the rectory to the right of the building. A man, most likely the then current priest, is standing at the front entrance of the church. Written on the backside of the image is "Sacred Heart/Pelton Photo/1896/ Belle Plaine, Mn. Sacred Heart Church first steeple, which was struck by lightning and burned." The building was demolished in 1989.
Printed program for the Minnesota Library Association fifth annual meeting held December 29, 1896 in St. Paul at the State Library Association offices and in Minneapolis at the Public Library. Cited topics and agenda items include school and college libraries, recent A.L.A. meeting, public library patrons, children in libraries, fund raising for town libraries, reports from the libraries in Anoka, Red Wing, Mankato, Stillwater, and St. Cloud, responsibilities of the library trustee, and the business meeting with election of officers, plus statement of persons eligible to join the association and persons invited to attend the annual meeting, the program of events, place of meeting, railroad rates, statement of value of attending the meeting, and a call for questions to be discussed.
Annual college catalog listing courses of study, alumni, roll of students, calendar, map, admission requirements, general information, descriptions of departments, Ladies' Auxiliary Board, summary of students, and lists of faculty and trustees. Includes the Collegiate Department, Macalester Classical Academy, and the Auxiliary Departments of Music, Elocution, and Drawing.
Note reads: "Taken in 1896. Residence and offices of Dr. John Wesley Andrews, 510 South Second St., Mankato, Minn. Office entrance: 125 E. Cherry St. Dr. Roy Andrews, son of J. W. and Cornelia Andrews daughter of Roy were born here (in this building)." Now Kahler Motel (1979).
Hardcover book containing township and village plats; History of Cottonwood County; Real Estate Dealers; Illustrations of Buildings; Map of United States; Map of Minnesota; Map of Cottonwood County; and Reference Directory.
Standard Atlas of Fillmore County Minnesota including a plat book of the villages, cities, townships, schools, churches, railroads, streams, roads, cemeteries of the county. Map of the State, United States, and World. Farmer's Directory, Reference Business Directory, and Departments devoted to general information. Analysis of the system of the U. S. land surveys, and digest of the system of civil government.
George A. Ogle and Company, Publishers and Engravers
Standard Atlas of Mower County, Minnesota, 1896. George A. Ogle and Company, Publishers and Engravers, created this book, including a plat book of the villages, cities and townships of the county, a map of the State of Minnesota, a map of the United States and of the World. There is a farmers directory, illustrations of early residents, a business directory and general information about the county. An analysis of the system of U.S. Land Surveys, a digest of the system of Civil Government, and a chronological calendar of events from medieval times to 1896.
Plat book of Stearns County, Minnesota, 1896.Title page names North West Publishing Co., but other copies include a title page that names Pinkney & Brown, successors to C.M. Foote & Co. as publisher. This alternative title page includes Complied from Offical Records and Actual Survey, by C.M. Foote & Co. 64 pages of color maps all of 37 Stearns County townships and 36 cities and towns. Includes patron directory (6 pages) and miscellaneous maps, diagrams, reports and road laws (6 pages) and 1 large insert, a fold-out map of the city of St. Cloud.
1895 annual report of the Board of Public Works of the City of St. Paul. This report tells the story of the development and use of the roads, sidewalks, sewers, gas lines and electricity. This information is gathered from primary resources of the period and goes into much detail. This reliable information is presented in reports, fold out statistical data sheets, maps, black and white photographs and sketches.
The fifth annual report of the Board of Park Commissioners describes membership and activities of the board during 1895, including improvements made to Como Park, developments to Phalen and Indian Mounds parks, parkway development, reports from the board superintendent and secretary, financial statements, and photographs of Irvine Park, Como Park, Carpenter Park, and Summit Park.
Albumen print showing a threshing crew from Bieder Brosthers at August Keup's farm in Belle Plaine. Seen are a mechanized threshing machine with a large group of the people on or around it. Written on the reverse: "Bieder Bros. threshing reg. on Aug. Keup farm 1896."
Book of plat maps of all the townships in Olmsted County, Minnesota, with owners' names. Maps of the United States and the world are included along with a chronological history of the world. There is also a section detailing the system of land surveys and the system of civil government in the United States.
A Plat Book of the villages, cities and townships of the county, Map of the State, United States and World, Farmers Directory, Reference Business Directory and Departments devoted to general information. Analysis of the System of US Land Surveys, Digest of the System of Civil Governments and more.
Exterior view of the Sinclair Brothers and Brown Store located at North Avenue and Second Street in Fairmont. Fur coats are on display outside of the store. Left to right: A. Taylor, Alfred Sinclair, Joe Rose, Brown, unknown, unknown, unknown, S. L. Tonne. The top floor was Albion Hall. It was erected by Percy Wollaston, first occupied by Wollaston and Sons.