Publication detailing the purpose of the school, academic calendar, expenses associated with the school, admission requirements, classes offered, graduation requirements, and the model school. In addition, the catalog lists the faculty and students by class for the year. Other information includes campus buildings, equipment, library, student groups, and the alumni association, The State Normal School, founded in 1869, changed names several times: St. Cloud State Teachers College (1921), St. Cloud State College (1957), and St. Cloud State University (1975).
1895 annual report of the Board of Public Works of the City of St. Paul. This report tells the story of the development and use of the roads, sidewalks, sewers, gas lines and electricity. This information is gathered from primary resources of the period and goes into much detail. This reliable information is presented in reports, fold out statistical data sheets, maps, black and white photographs and sketches.
This photograph of the bathing beach at Bde Maka Skain Minneapolis, Minnesota, is found in the Thirtieth Annual Report of the Board of Park Commissioners of the City of Minneapolis, after page 40. Bde Maka Ska is Dakota for "White Earth Lake," and was previously known as "Lake Calhoun."
Students are sitting at their desks in a Hawthorne Grade School classroom; teacher: Miss Smith; 1st row: Ethel Fox, Hattie Rowley, Maude Burbank, Mattie Holt, James Robinson, unknown; 2nd row: Carl Kurtzman, Goldie Alexander, Ward Shaw, Gustave O'Neil, Earl Leonard, Charles Lamb; 3rd row: ___ Purcell, William McCabe, Laura Ekholt, Thomas Woodford, Nate Renslow; 4th row: Harry Walker, Elsie Wetherby, Floyd Darling, Hans Hanson
Note reads: "Taken in 1896. Residence and offices of Dr. John Wesley Andrews, 510 South Second St., Mankato, Minn. Office entrance: 125 E. Cherry St. Dr. Roy Andrews, son of J. W. and Cornelia Andrews daughter of Roy were born here (in this building)." Now Kahler Motel (1979).
Exterior view of Edwards Hall, a men's boarding club, with group portrait of boarders, 1896. Located on campus at the end of Princeton Avenue. Contributed by Richard Uriah Jones, Macalester College Class of 1901, and Macalester Head of Chemistry Department 1903-1941, and Dean of the College, 1917-1936.
Annual college catalog listing courses of study, alumni, roll of students, calendar, map, admission requirements, general information, descriptions of departments, Ladies' Auxiliary Board, summary of students, and lists of faculty and trustees. Includes the Collegiate Department, Macalester Classical Academy, and the Auxiliary Departments of Music, Elocution, and Drawing.
The fifth annual report of the Board of Park Commissioners describes membership and activities of the board during 1895, including improvements made to Como Park, developments to Phalen and Indian Mounds parks, parkway development, reports from the board superintendent and secretary, financial statements, and photographs of Irvine Park, Como Park, Carpenter Park, and Summit Park.
Winona Normal School football team of 1896. This was the ""championship"" team which scored 135 points during the season while allowing opponents to score only 12. Other teams defeated included the University of Minnesota and Carleton College.
Winona State University, Darrell W. Krueger Library
St. Benedict's Academy; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1895-1896 Fourteenth Annual Catalogue was published for the Academy of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota. Contents include description of institution, rules of discipline, course studies, fees, general and wardrobe regulations, list of students, daily schedule, list of textbooks and closing program.
Shoes and boots are displayed on the walls of the George Leonard Shoe Store. The older gentleman, on the right, reading the newspaper, is George Leonard's father. The woman on the left is Abbie Leonard. The business was located at 227 South Broadway.
Will Ireland (right) and Leslie Stillwell (left) are standing behind the counter at Ireland's Book Store. Stationery supplies and books line the walls. The book store was located at 121 South Broadway.
Lagerstrom's Cornet Band from St. Peter at the National G. A. R. parade at St. Paul in 1896. The names of seveal membes of the band are on another copy of this photograph at the Nicollet County Historical Society.
Interior of Lake Street Methodist Church decorated for Christmas. Located at Lake Street and Freemont Ave. South, Minneapolis. Lake Street Methodist was begun in 1885 as an daughter church of Simpson Methodist Episcopal. Rev. James Teeter issued a call to start a new congregation in "that district lying in the outskirts of the city, the territory to the East of Lakes Calhoun and Harriet and adjacent to Lake Street." Later it was renamed Joyce Memorial Methodist Church in honor of Bishop Isaac Wilson Joyce.
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
Photograph collage of the members of the Wisconsin Totalafholdsselskab (Total Abstinence Society). Includes: E.T. Saugstad, Theo. Thorsen, F.L. Tronsdal, E.E. Lobeck, P.S. Thompson, Rev. Chr. Ytterhus, and Rev. O. Gulbrandson.
Studio portrait of Leo (facing left) and Christ (facing right) Albrecht, of Belle Plaine. Wearing matching suits with white shirts that have bow at the neck and large ruffle collars and cuffs. Black jackets. Taken at Pelton's Studio, Belle Plaine.
Printed program for the Minnesota Library Association fifth annual meeting held December 29, 1896 in St. Paul at the State Library Association offices and in Minneapolis at the Public Library. Cited topics and agenda items include school and college libraries, recent A.L.A. meeting, public library patrons, children in libraries, fund raising for town libraries, reports from the libraries in Anoka, Red Wing, Mankato, Stillwater, and St. Cloud, responsibilities of the library trustee, and the business meeting with election of officers, plus statement of persons eligible to join the association and persons invited to attend the annual meeting, the program of events, place of meeting, railroad rates, statement of value of attending the meeting, and a call for questions to be discussed.
See the Morris Tribune, 30 Dec 1896. The Morris Cadet Band was formed in 1896 under the direction of H.B. Lund. Note attached to the back of the photograph reads Lunds Band (orig. Dec., 1896 - but this picture could have been taken later) [back row, left to right:] Lawrence Thomasson, Otto Jacobson, H.B. Lund, George Flynn(?) [middle row, left to right:] James O'Malley, Arthur Flatner, Oscar Flatner, Hilfred Thomasson. [front row, left to right:] Gus Amborn(?), Ludwig Danielson, Will Haight(?), Orrin Flynn After conferring with Cora Grove, I am fairly certain these names are correct - the one marked (?) are the ones she FS not too sure of - but from the names listed in the 12/30/1896 paper, they seem to be correct[.] The paper lists two (Louie Larson and Vincent Caswell) who apparently dropped out before this picture was taken. Flo Sarlette (1971). Note that the instrumentation listed in the 1896 newspaper does not correspond to the instruments held by the players in the photograph, so the identification given above should not be taken as entirely accurate.
Hardcover book containing township and village plats; History of Cottonwood County; Real Estate Dealers; Illustrations of Buildings; Map of United States; Map of Minnesota; Map of Cottonwood County; and Reference Directory.
Dakota County atlas, 55 pages of colored maps, 48 cm. Scale of tounship maps 1:31,680. 2 inches to the mile. Patron's Directory is located on pages 53-55. Drawn from actual survey and county records by Bertine F. Pinkney.
Plat book of Stearns County, Minnesota, 1896.Title page names North West Publishing Co., but other copies include a title page that names Pinkney & Brown, successors to C.M. Foote & Co. as publisher. This alternative title page includes Complied from Offical Records and Actual Survey, by C.M. Foote & Co. 64 pages of color maps all of 37 Stearns County townships and 36 cities and towns. Includes patron directory (6 pages) and miscellaneous maps, diagrams, reports and road laws (6 pages) and 1 large insert, a fold-out map of the city of St. Cloud.
Black and white albumen print of Frank Hinds at the age of six years. The image is a studio portrait and it shows Hinds wearing a peacoat style jacket and a large ruffled collar. Written in pencil on the backside of the cardstock is "Frank Hinds/Chickie Hinds/Feb. '96/6 1/2 years." Hinds graduated from Shakopee High School in 1907. Eventually he became a prominent attorney in Shakopee.
Portrait of Mary Ann Ware, surrounded by her quilts and handwork. Note on back of photograph: Great Grandmother Ware, Mother of William Penn Ware, Grandmother of Frank Ware, Great Grandmother of Frances Ware Abbott and Great-grandmother Ware. Mary Ann Ware was born in 1805 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She migrated to Barry, Illinois. She igrated to Morris, Minnesota in 1880. She was the great-grandmother of Frances Louise Ware Abbott who was born 7/25/1906 in Morris, Minnesota.
Sidney Luce, Duluth's second mayor, was born in Kingsville, Ohio, on September 19, 1819. He moved to the Duluth area in the mid-1850s and served as registrar for the U.S. Land Office. He built Duluth's first commercial structure, a warehouse at the foot of Third Avenue East at the lake shore, and helped found the city's first brewery. He was elected mayor in 1872, but resigned while still in office to return to Ohio. His portrait was painted by J.W. Trussler in 1896.
A group of six boys are posed with newspaper carrier bags and newspapers (Rochester Daily Post); left to right: Clarence Sisson, Harry Gilman, Irwin Churchill, Edward Britzius, Arthur Bogart, Eddie Enquest (Enquist)
Black and white albumen print of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Belle Plaine. Seen are the front of the church with the rectory to the right of the building. A man, most likely the then current priest, is standing at the front entrance of the church. Written on the backside of the image is "Sacred Heart/Pelton Photo/1896/ Belle Plaine, Mn. Sacred Heart Church first steeple, which was struck by lightning and burned." The building was demolished in 1989.
Exterior view of the Sinclair Brothers and Brown Store located at North Avenue and Second Street in Fairmont. Fur coats are on display outside of the store. Left to right: A. Taylor, Alfred Sinclair, Joe Rose, Brown, unknown, unknown, unknown, S. L. Tonne. The top floor was Albion Hall. It was erected by Percy Wollaston, first occupied by Wollaston and Sons.
Annual Report for the YWCA for the year 1896 including: officers, board of managers, secretaries, committees, historical sketch, President's Message, Report of General Secretary, Treasurer's Report, Reports of Committees, including Membership, Rooms, Reading Room and Library, Religious, Entertainment, Educational, Physical Culture, Noon Rest, Employment, Finance, South Branch, Cedar Branch, Traveler's Aid, and Extension Committees. Also includes contact information for state, international and world's associations.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
Standard Atlas of Fillmore County Minnesota including a plat book of the villages, cities, townships, schools, churches, railroads, streams, roads, cemeteries of the county. Map of the State, United States, and World. Farmer's Directory, Reference Business Directory, and Departments devoted to general information. Analysis of the system of the U. S. land surveys, and digest of the system of civil government.
George A. Ogle and Company, Publishers and Engravers
Standard Atlas of Mower County, Minnesota, 1896. George A. Ogle and Company, Publishers and Engravers, created this book, including a plat book of the villages, cities and townships of the county, a map of the State of Minnesota, a map of the United States and of the World. There is a farmers directory, illustrations of early residents, a business directory and general information about the county. An analysis of the system of U.S. Land Surveys, a digest of the system of Civil Government, and a chronological calendar of events from medieval times to 1896.
Book of plat maps of all the townships in Olmsted County, Minnesota, with owners' names. Maps of the United States and the world are included along with a chronological history of the world. There is also a section detailing the system of land surveys and the system of civil government in the United States.
A Plat Book of the villages, cities and townships of the county, Map of the State, United States and World, Farmers Directory, Reference Business Directory and Departments devoted to general information. Analysis of the System of US Land Surveys, Digest of the System of Civil Governments and more.
Albumen print showing a threshing crew from Bieder Brosthers at August Keup's farm in Belle Plaine. Seen are a mechanized threshing machine with a large group of the people on or around it. Written on the reverse: "Bieder Bros. threshing reg. on Aug. Keup farm 1896."