This report from the Board of Park Commissioners consists of a brief narrative on the history of public parks in St. Paul, a description of the current park system, and plans for the future, along with eight photographs of Como Park, and maps of Como Park and the Lake Phalen area. Reports from the secretary and superintendent and financial statements are also included.
1894 annual report of the Board of Public Works of the City of St. Paul. This report tells the story of the development and use of the roads, sidewalks, sewers, gas lines and electricity. This information is gathered from primary resources of the period and goes into much detail. This reliable information is presented in reports, fold out statistical data sheets, maps, black and white photographs and sketches.
This book contains information on hunting, fishing, and other recreational activities in northern Minnesota and northwestern Wisconsin. It also includes railway and steamship timetables, a brief directory of local businesses and public buildings in Duluth and Superior, resorts and picnic grounds in Duluth and Superior, social clubs, points of interest to visit, and many interesting advertisements.
Gustavus Adolphus College senior thesis, "Why Do Free Citizens Endorse Socialism?", handwritten by Adolph O. Eberhart in 1895 and submitted in fulfillment of a requirement for the Bachelor of Arts Degree. The content of the essay, written in English, reflects political questions of the time and is an articulately-written discussion. It was included in the commencement ceremony held on May 23, 1895 as the "Oration with Valedictory". Adolph O. Eberhart served in various public offices, then as elected representative in the Minnesota Legislature 1902 - 1905, Lieutenant Governor 1906 - 1909, and Governor 1909 -1914.
Bust portrait photographs of dozens of uniformed, identified post office workers, the post master, assistant post master, superintendent of carriers, chief clerk mailing division, and post office buildings.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Illustrated trade catalog with photographic views of Link-Belt machinery in operation. Descriptions of devices including boilers, pulleys, belts, bolts, scales, and other machine parts. Equipment used by mills, distilleries, tanners, and various manufacturers and warehouse companies.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
Annual college catalog listing courses of study, alumni, roll of students, calendar, map, admission requirements, general information, descriptions of departments, summary of students, and lists of faculty and trustees. Includes Collegiate Department, Macalester Classical Academy (the Preparatory Department known as the Baldwin School), and the Auxiliary Departments of Music, Elocution, and Drawing.
"Public Library building, Minneapolis, 1895"--Cover. Besides a list of patrons, life members, directors, and officers of the society, a full list of membership is included. Includes annotations and additions. The 1895 membership directory of the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts (incorporated 1883 and existing to the present), which is the parent and governing body for the Minneapolis Institute of Art (opening in 1915 and existing to the present) and the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts (established in 1886 and existing under the society's governance until 1988). In 1970, the school changed its name to the Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD) and in 1988 it became an independent organization. 16 unnumbered pages.
Annual report of the Board of Game and Fish Commissioners made to Governor D. M. Clough. Report discusses the attempt to halt the wholesale marketing of fish and game, alleged illegal market hunting performed by Native Americans, seizure and destruction of nets and the positive responses to recent changes in the Fish and Game laws. Also includes a hatchery report, the distribution of fry (young fish) completed, and a treasurer�s report.
Annual report of the Board of Game and Fish Commissioners made to Governor Knute Nelson. The report assesses new game codes recently enacted and results of related court cases with particular focus on criminal game traffic and professional market hunters. The item also contains a report on the existing �fish business� on Lake of the Woods and Rainy Lake, a hatchery report, the distribution of fry (young fish), and a treasurer�s report is included.
Illustrated trade catalog highlighting Minnesota Sandstone (Kettle River Sandstone) and its uses for sills, steps, ashlar, paving, curbing, flagging, mill blocks, and bridge and building stone. Includes statements from men who used the sandstone for prominent Minneapolis buildings.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
Ole Anderson and Company, Publishers of County Gazetteers
A 204 page paperbound booklet from 1895 containing historical facts of each individual town and township in Nobles County. It includes advertisements and the names of local businesses and their proprietors. Also listed are physicians and county officers as well as the names of county residents grouped by city or township.
The graduates of 1895 is assembled in this studio portrait, which later appeared in the 1912 Breidablick college annual with the caption "Our Governor's Class", in reference to Adolph O. Eberhart, who appears in the photograph. The graduates are: Rev. John G. Laurin, Edward L. Erickson, Governor Adolph O. Eberhart, Prof. Andrew A. Stomberg, Hon. Thomas H. Johnston, Rev. Swan L. Wilson, Rev. Runolfur Marteinson, Atty. Charles Johnson, Dr. Alfred E. Ahlstrom, Atty. Frank A. Eckman, Hannah Nelson, M. S. Norelius, Prof. Louis Anderson, Grace Gresham-Brownell, Dr. Brandur, J. Brandson, and Dr. Joseph A. Prim.
Farmer John P. Turner is feeding his pigs in a large pen adjacent to the barn. Turner came to Nicollet County in 1870 from Vasa. After farming in various locations, he moved to Lower Oshawa Township in 1892.
Publication detailing the purpose of the school, academic calendar, expenses associated with the school, admission requirements, classes offered, graduation requirements, and the model school. In addition, the catalog lists the faculty and students by class for the year. Other information includes campus buildings, equipment, library, student groups, and the alumni association, The State Normal School, founded in 1869, changed names several times: St. Cloud State Teachers College (1921), St. Cloud State College (1957), and St. Cloud State University (1975).
St. Benedict's Academy; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1894-1895 Thirteenth Annual Catalogue was published for the Academy of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota. Contents include description of institution, rules of discipline, course of studies, fees, general and wardrobe regulations, list of students and awards, daily program, list of textbooks and closing exercises.
Born on June 2, 1851 in Angelica, New York and well-educated in law, Charles E. d'Autremont, Jr. moved to Duluth on a whim in 1882 with his family. He soon began to make a name for himself, becoming county attorney in 1884 and running for state Attorney General in 1888. In 1892 d'Autremont was elected mayor and served two efficient but unremarkable terms. After his tenure he was heavily and successfully involved in mining throughout western North America. He died in Angelica, New York on July 25, 1919.
Two story brick building, 4 gabled windows on upper level, horse drawn carriage in foreground with two women dressed in black coats in front seat, possibly a third person in the backseat. Two dark horses are attached to carriage they are standing still for photo. A single story building is to the left of the bank, it says "Lumbe" (Lumber) along top, a man is standing in the doorway.
Top photo is a print of the campus in 1878. Bottom photo is a view of the campus in 1895, from the college to northeast. It shows part of 1 1/2 mile long, 8 ft high fence enclosing the discontinued Kittsondale Fairgrounds and Racetrack north of St. Anthony Avenue.
The play was given at the Courthouse Hall in 1895 by the Floral Club (later the Students Club) to raise funds to further interest in gardening. Front row, left to right: W.P. Fowler, Mrs. J.W. Harris, Henry Leaman (or Dr. Harris?), Mrs. F.A. Hancock, Mrs. Chas. Garlick, Mrs. Henry Wolff. Second row, left to right: Mrs. Elliot, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Curtiss, Mrs. H.W. Stone, Mrs. Mary Pearce, Mrs. Mary Butterfield, A.A. Stone. Back row, left to right: Mrs. Messersmith, Mrs. Getz, S.J. Stebbins, Chas. Pepper (tall), J.D. Gillespie, F.E. Newell, H. Ward Stone, Henry Wolff (or Pete Ross?), Dr. H.L. Hulburd, Rev. A.H. Tebbets, Mrs. Tebbets.
Chappell and Doughtery grocery. The dray team at the left belonged to C. H. Newton who is on the dray. Mr. Daugherty is in the left entrance and Mr. Chappell is in the right with C. W. McKay the Northern Pacific agent further to the right.
A group of girls photographed in Wabasha, Minnesota. At least one of the girls became a Carleton student at a later date. Anna Satory Hicks (in the middle of the photo) is a daughter of John and Genevieve Satory, mother of John Hicks and great-aunt of John Satory (La Crosse, Wisconsin).
St. Thomas Literary and Debating Society in front of the old Administration Building. Seated in the front are the officers of the society: William O'Malley, Vice President; Reverend Terence Moore, President; Reverend William Lunner; James Doyle, Secretary.