Signatures of attorneys registered to practice law in the State of Minnesota. Names were verified and biographical data obtained from Minnesota Biographies (MHS 1912), Legislators Past and Present (website), State Board of Law Examiners register (1891-1921), Minnesota birth and death certificates indexes, Minnesota court system websites, published alumni directories of the University of Minnesota law school and the St. Paul College of Law, Minnesota Legal History Project (website), the Minnesota Historical Society's online catalog (PALS), and a variety of miscellaneous sources.
Exterior view of the Krueger Hotel in St. Peter, which was located on the northeast corner of the intersection of Fifth street and Broadway. The hotel was operated by Mr. and Mrs. William Krueger. It was also called the Pink Hotel.
Portrait photograph of J. A. Kiester. Kiester was an early settler-lawyer, member of the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate. He was also an Episcopalian, Freemason and Faribault County historian.
Professional portrait of "The Church and Settled Pastors of Pontoppidan Lutheran Congregation from 1868 to 1918". Includes photos of P.J. Ostergaard, 1884-1886, Nils Olson 1868-1880, N.S. Heggerness 1880-1882, R. Anderson 1887-1890, H.S. Quanbeck 1893-1896, E.O. Larson 1898-1905, H.C. Caspersen 1905-1912, Johan Mattson 1913
Hand-drawn land surveys made from 1869-1941 to determine and identify land ownership and/or section boundaries in various parts of Washington County. The volume includes an index on pages 638-641 that lists each township and section and the pages in the volume on which information is provided. A transcript of that list accompanies this document and can be found at the beginning of this document.
This photograph shows the first high school in St. Peter, which was located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Fifth and Grace streets. The front of the school faced Fifth street. It was constructed in the early 1870s.
This is a photograph of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in St. Peter, also called the German Lutheran Church. This church was dedicated in 1870, and was located on the northeast corner of the intersection of Fifth and Mulberry streets, facing Mulberry. A new church on the same site was dedicated in 1923.
Building made of wood, gable front with shutters and large front windows. Wood picket fence, beer sign. Nick Walerious is the proprietor. 19 people are in front of building and two women are in upper story windows; they are family members of the proprietor. Border Collie type dog stands at a mans side.
A classroom instruction tool, this 24 page wall scroll uses images, alphabet letters, words and phrases in the Dakota language to teach math functions and reading. This item was designed to hang on the classroom wall.
Synod of Lakes and Prairies, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
This photograph shows a logging crew, consisting of Henry Perttula, Jonas Perttula, William Perttula, Emil Kangas, Waino J. Heikkinen, and an unidentified man. Sitting are Abel Palkie and Adolph Peterson.
Esther (Sarkela) Huuima wrote that this photo was from a sawmill in Thomson. She identifies her father and her brother, Hugo Sarkela, in the photo, as indicated by the two ink check marks. The check mark in the back center of the photo marks the father, and the checkmark in the front center indicates Hugo Sarkela. Note the four fire fighting water barrels on top of the roof, as well as the teams of horses and wagons. The man in the back with a black suit is probably the boss of the operation.
The front of Plymouth Congregational Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, is decorated for Easter. In 1875, Plymouth Congregational Church opened its third building four blocks south of the second church on the southeast corner of Eighth Street and Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where a small boarding house had stood. Unsatisfied with the work of local architects, Plymouth�s minister, Henry Stimson, with the help of choir member Samuel Gale, sketched a design and then recruited New York architect Russell Sturgis, who reluctantly agreed to use the design. The structure was unusual for Minneapolis. The large interior included gallery seating. The exterior combined stone and brick. The congregation worshipped here until 1907, when growing membership once again forced the congregation to move to its location on Groveland Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The front of Plymouth Congregational Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, is decorated for Christmas. In 1875, Plymouth Congregational Church opened its third building four blocks south of the second church on the southeast corner of Eighth Street and Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where a small boarding house had stood. Unsatisfied with the work of local architects, Plymouth�s minister, Henry Stimson, with the help of choir member Samuel Gale, sketched a design and then recruited New York architect Russell Sturgis, who reluctantly agreed to use the design. The structure was unusual for Minneapolis. The large interior included gallery seating. The exterior combined stone and brick. The congregation worshipped here until 1907, when growing membership once again forced the congregation to move to its location on Groveland Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Depicted here is the homestead of Johan (Piekkola) Jacobson homestead, as well as his family, located on the Forstie Road. Left to right are Johan (Piekkola) Jacobson, Amanda Jacobson, holding Henry (Ham) in her lap; Axel Jacobson, Arvid Jacobson, Hann
Pioneer Charles A. Marks, his family and horses, are depicted in front of their remodeled home. The Marks family settled in Thomson Township in 1878. Charles A. Marks was the second county commissioner of Carlton County to serve from the Town of Thomson, in 1901. His original Finnish surname was Markkus. He operated a productive dairy farm located on the Midway River. One of his dairy cows can be seen between the three unidentified ladies. Presumably Charles Marks is the person holding the horses. He was born in Finland in 1854 and died in Thomson Township in 1921.
Photograph of Halvor Aase pushing a wheelbarrow across a dirt road. The inscription on the box reads: " A. Q. Paulson, Sacred Heart Minn." In the photograph's background is a grain elevator and the two-story brick schoolhouse which stood on Second Avenue, near the corner of Maple Street. This schoolhouse was discontinued in 1901and was sold and converted into apartments. In 1905 the building was sold again and razed.
Located on Block 19 in the original town, built in 1885 with an addition added in 1894. Used as a high school and grammar school. Demolished in 1934 and replaced with a new building, also known as Longfellow School. Note on back of original to Caroline Mork, Hancock, from Sadie E.
Photograph showing the exterior of a large three-story frame structure with a one-story addition to house the steam engine plant. Mountain Lake Roller Mill, was a flour mill, built in the late 1870's by David Hiebert.
Front row, left to right: Sylvester McCarthy, Sweeny [boy], John Terrill, Emil Mecklenburg, Herman Mecklenburg, Henry McCarthy, Arthur Biesterfeld, Martin Biesterfeld, Sweeny [girl], Elsie Mecklenburg, Lena Osterman, Louise Mecklenburg, Ina Terrill, Alma Senholtz; Back row, left to right: John Suhrbier, John Osterman, John Mecklenburg, August Osterman, Vernus Suhrbeir, Albert Terrill, Willie Osterman, Mary Osterman, Alma Biesterfeld, Frieda Mecklenburg, Miss Keating [teacher].
An interior view of Tilford Drug Store, which was on the corner of Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue. It later became Sigstad Variety Store. Pictured are: Will Sanger on the left and Fred Tilford on the right.
This photograph shows a group of St. Peter residents at a picnic. The names are on the reverse side of the photograph. Among the individuals listed are members of the Peterson, Cosgrove, Ribble, and Schleuder families.
This is a photograph of Dr. John Sander, a Gustavus Adolphus College professor who helped found the First English Lutheran Church in St. Peter in 1892. The church is now known as Trinity Lutheran Church.
This is the interior of Theodore Knoll's bar in St. Peter, listed at 121 S. Third street in the 1899 city directory. Demos Young, Sever Sanderson, Louis Eckstrom, Louis Roberts, and Jesse Parsons are named on the reverse of the photo. An unidentified man is between Roberts and Parsons. Knoll is behind the bar.