The play was given at the Courthouse Hall in 1895 by the Floral Club (later the Students Club) to raise funds to further interest in gardening. Front row, left to right: W.P. Fowler, Mrs. J.W. Harris, Henry Leaman (or Dr. Harris?), Mrs. F.A. Hancock, Mrs. Chas. Garlick, Mrs. Henry Wolff. Second row, left to right: Mrs. Elliot, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Curtiss, Mrs. H.W. Stone, Mrs. Mary Pearce, Mrs. Mary Butterfield, A.A. Stone. Back row, left to right: Mrs. Messersmith, Mrs. Getz, S.J. Stebbins, Chas. Pepper (tall), J.D. Gillespie, F.E. Newell, H. Ward Stone, Henry Wolff (or Pete Ross?), Dr. H.L. Hulburd, Rev. A.H. Tebbets, Mrs. Tebbets.
A group of male students tipping their hats to a group of female students in a posed group portrait from the spring of 1895. People pictured are: Mary Elsie VanCampen; Ida Mary Ellis; Glencora Stokes; Mabel Opal Knapp; Frances Crouch; Bessie Mabel Cook; Ruth Annah Haven; Elizabeth Taylor; Harry McFarland Williams; Denny Clough Gates; Allen Harmon Carpenter; James Roger Van Slyke; Malcolm Dana; Normal Lucia Olsen; and Aimee Alice Wells.
Central Hillside; Duluth Cycle Club members; bicycles; children; spectators; Fourth of July Parade; July Fourth; houses; Seventh Avenue west incline in background; men and boys; horse drawn carriage; telephone poles; dirt street
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Francis W. “Frank” Haben was born to John and Calista A. Haben (née Oliver) in Saginaw, Saginaw County, Michigan, on May 1, 1870. By the 1890s, he was living in the newly founded village of Hibbing, St. Louis County, Minnesota. In 1896, he married fellow Michigan native Catherine Brady (1872-1941)—in what may have been the first public wedding to take place in Hibbing. They raised three children: Cecilia Mary Haben (1904-1934), Wendell Haben (1915-1971), and Eugene M. Haben (1916-1945).