Photograph of Zig Zag Tennis Club at the M. G. Norton Home. Standing left to right: Benton Hatcher, Maude Laird, Bud Whipple, and Helen Horton. Seated left to right: Beulah Norton, Neville Staughton, Margaret Lamberton, Bert Norton, John Blunt, Gertrude Keeler, Mame Whipple and Mathew Norton.
View of waterfront and harbor from hillside and fourth street looking northeast; Minnesota Point; canal; wooden piers; slips; C W Murray 714 west Superior street; Duluth Boat Club; Kelley Island Lime; coal dock
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Annual reports of the Commission of Fisheries made to Governor Lucius F. Hubbard. Includes a discussion of the exhibit of native Minnesota fishes created for the World's New Orleans Exposition (World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition, 1884), and its eventual placement at the state hatchery. Also contains the background and design of the United States Hatchery at Duluth, Minnesota, and the formation of the Duluth Fishery Association, the distribution of fish stocked throughout the state, and annual expenditures of the Commission. Two reports are included regarding the preservation of fish.
Early years in St. Joseph, Minnesota (1863-1880). In the early 1860s, St. Joseph (Clinton) was a settlement of 80 families scattered on farms within a radius of 30 miles from the village, which was comprised of 5 homes and the church-school-rectory complex. The settlement flourished so that by 1869, St. Joseph could boast of 180 families. This staunch German Catholic community built a large Gothic style church (1871) and rectory (1874) from stones which the parishioners gathered from their fields. However, because they depended on the district schools, they did not build a parochial school at this time. In 1862, two sisters from the Benedictine community in St. Cloud were invited by the pastor to teach in the St. Joseph district school. After two years, the sisters experienced the same controversy about government support as they had in St. Cloud. In fact, the school board dismissed the sisters and gave H. L. Duerr a four-year teaching contract. This forced the sisters to seek other means of support by establishing an academy, orphanage, and industrial school. The sisters continued these projects even after they were re-employed as district school teachers at the completion of Duerr's contract in 1868. Besides teaching in the St. Joseph School District 9, others (Sisters Aurelia Bissen, Romana Widmer, and Gonzaga Kevenhoerster) taught in District 108 and three (Sisters Cecilia Kapsner, Hilaria Finske, and Vincentia Phiilipp) taught in District 1 (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives; McDonald, pages 57-60; Idelia Loso, pages 19-21, 36, 39-40).