This photograph shows part of the business district in St. Peter after the November 1887 fire. The Nicollet Hotel at Minnesota Avenue and Park Row is at left. The view to the north includes the Church of the Holy Communion, right of center, and the Norwegian Lutheran Church to its left.
Close Brothers & Company, 84 La Salle Street, Chicago, Illinois
The Close Brothers & Company, composed of William Close, James Close, John Close, Frederick Close and S.H. Graves, organized in 1876 and located in Pipestone in 1883. They also operated under business names Western Land Company and the South Minnesota Land Company.
In addition to numerous photographs and some written history, this large book provides information on the town of Duluth, Minnesota, in 1887, including sections on the geographic situation, the harbor, the St. Louis River and water power, churches and schools, railways, the grain market, the Board of Trade, and banking. Photographs include many birds-eye views of Duluth, Rice's Point, grain elevators, the Exchange Building, the Duluth National Bank Building, the Duluth Boat Club House, the Board of Trade Building, the Fargusson Block, the Grand Opera House, the Hotel St. Louis, the Spalding Hotel under construction, and individual homes of R.S. Munger and John P. Johnson.
The Stillwater City Directory 1887 includes an alphabetical list of names, addresses and occupations of residents, a classified business directory, lists of city and county officers, churches, schools, societies, streets and wards. Also contains local advertisements.
View of waterfront and harbor from hillside and fourth street looking northeast; Minnesota Point; canal; wooden piers; slips; C W Murray 714 west Superior street; Duluth Boat Club; Kelley Island Lime; coal dock
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections